Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wondering if anyone knew if its possible to somehow attach D ring shackles to the stock JK bumper? I don't have the money as a college student to buy a whole new bumper, but I love the d ring hook, is it possible to just somehow drill a plate into the stock bumper and attach the d ring? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
If you just want the look, you certainly can do that easily.

If you want it to actually handle the load properly you need to put some effort into building the right kind of bracket. Either that or pay someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
derf said:
If you just want the look, you certainly can do that easily.

If you want it to actually handle the load properly you need to put some effort into building the right kind of bracket. Either that or pay someone to do it for you.
Purely cosmetic, any idea of a website that offers an installation kit?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have not done it.But maybe you can remove crush cans and put in D-Rings.Might need a spacer so as not to crush bumper cover.Humps on bumper cover would need to be cut off also.Just a guess.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of taking off the bumper and putting a plate on the two bumps for the d ring, and put a plate on the inside of the hump to hold the D ring in with some heavy duty washers/ nuts. I'll do some playing around and keep you guys posted how it goes, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated though

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Pure cosmetic. Any idea of a website that provides an installation kit if some sort?
No one would make one for purely cosmetic purposes. The first person who tied a d-ring to one and yanked it right off would sue. You're on your own for that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
derf said:
No one would make one for purely cosmetic purposes. The first person who tied a d-ring to one and yanked it right off would sue. You're on your own for that.
Very true, looks like creativity will be my best bet ;)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It's been done before. I've seen it posted here before, I'll try to find the thread. However, these were fully functional.

Remove the plastic cover and cut off the crush cans. You can then use any D-ring mount made to replace the hooks on the front of the JK.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
did you know putting on stickers will increase your performance?
OMG! Yes I have! I not only gained speed and MPG, but I also gained 1.25" of lift with 2 additional stickers. I'm afraid I'll have to change driveshafts with any additional stickers.:whistling:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jakbak said:
did you know putting on stickers will increase your performance?
I guess "broke college student" didn't ring eh? Haha, I don't do any major rock crawling that I need to dish out so much cash, I do like to get some mud on the tires when I can though.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
If you cut the plastic out from around the towhooks and then remove them, you can get D ring mounts that fasten directly to the frame in place of the hooks. Look good and more importantly they are functional.

Jeepᆴ '07-'09 Wrangler JK Clevis Mounts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts