Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on a Teraflex video and kind of liked it. Has anyone tried this? Here's a random pic I found. I'm thinking if sprayed with some bed liner or something it could look pretty good.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well now, if those jive hooks were removed, and those two big nipples relaxed in some way...

This could be a cheap mod fad just waiting to explode on the scene...

Give it try, couldn't hurt, stock bumpers have a monetary value of what ? $15 dollars ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
The front bumper without the plastic kind looks like a bumper from a YJ except the for the "nipples". The YJ just had a steel flat bumper. Maybe Line-X it to clean it up & cut out the center a bit and you have a place for a small LED bar. It could be a cool mod with a little work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well now, if those jive hooks were removed, and those two big nipples relaxed in some way...

This could be a cheap mod fad just waiting to explode on the scene...

Give it try, couldn't hurt, stock bumpers have a monetary value of what ? $15 dollars ?
It would be easy to mount a couple of D-rings to the tow hooks and frame now.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I think i'm liking it! How do you peel off the shell?
Undo the 8 nuts holding the tow hooks on and the whole assembly comes off (remember to unplug the fog lights first). You can see towards the ends the 2 each side holes on the part that is dimpled out. The plastic skin is pretty much useless for protection and the beam is flimsy. The cans are there as a "first strike" mentality, meaning to give a crumple zone if the force is less than enough to get to the frame.

Oh yeah, the fog lamps screw into the skin, you have to fab up some plates if you want to keep them.

This parts blow up shows the four bolts that holds the shell to the beam (#2)
Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper Parts - Quadratec

·
Registered
835 Posts
Got to agree... Hate the nipples

Well normally they wouldn't be showen so bad. It was just cold when the photo was taken.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Well normally they wouldn't be showen so bad. It was just cold when the photo was taken.
Ahahahaha, awesome come back.

I kind of like it. If something could be fabbed to sort of "hide" the nipples a bit it would look really good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've watched that vid several times and I'm not so sure I would follow their cut here measurement. I see where he saws off some of the metal bumper end. I think if that back side of the bumper is open I would adjust the measurement to where i only cut off plastic and leave all the metal bumper part intact. Sure that would place the end cap a little farther out so it wouldn't fit up nice against that raised bumper part, but it just might look OK. And if it doesn't, well I guess I could follow the instructions.

Never really had much use for instructions.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is the best photo I've found of the stock inner bumper being modified. I planned to shoot for this for simplicity and weight, but there isn't a lot of protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you want simplicity with a lot of protection, do what I did. I made my bumper out of 1/8" steel C channel and a harbor freight winch plate. Dirt cheap to build and very strong. It's not for everyone but it suits my Jeep well. I bought 4'6" from a welding supply place locally. Drilled 8 holes in it and bolted it right up. The winch plate required some trimming to clear the grill but it wasn't bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts