Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being out of the Jeep community for a couple of years, I have returned, gleefully. This time, with a planned rebuild on a salvaged title that belonged to a relative. I'll have so many questions as I go through this process, but my first is a (hopefully) simple one:

Can you put aftermarket ADJUSTABLE shocks with stock coils?

My goal is to raise the TJ only an inch or so, while maintaining that stock ride quality and affordability. Both the shocks and coils need to be replaced, so I was looking to go stock with the coils (since the goal is a soft ride) and one inch lift with the shocks, while maintaining that soft ride.

I searched and couldn't answers. Any help is greatly appreciated. My budget is $600.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Shocks will not give you any lift... a 'lift shock' is simply longer to work w a lifted vehicle...

If you want low a low dollar soft riding 1" lift, use 1" spring spacers or a 1.25" body lift.

Fwiw I'm running 3" spacers and a 1.25" body lift on my 04... the ride is very close to stock... I went with rs9000 adjustable shocks and they are good but slightly stiffer than I'd like even on the softest setting... at some point I'm gonna try a set of rs5000x shocks and see if they are softer...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shocks will not give you any lift... a 'lift shock' is simply longer to work w a lifted vehicle...

If you want low a low dollar soft riding 1" lift, use 1" spring spacers or a 1.25" body lift.

Fwiw I'm running 3" spacers and a 1.25" body lift on my 04... the ride is very close to stock... I went with rs9000 adjustable shocks and they are good but slightly stiffer than I'd like even on the softest setting... at some point I'm gonna try a set of rs5000x shocks and see if they are softer...

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
springs set the ride height and have very little to do with ride quality. thats all shocks and tires.

there are 1" or 2" springs available if you want a small lift

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Can you put aftermarket ADJUSTABLE shocks with stock coils?
My goal is to raise the TJ only an inch or so, while maintaining that stock ride quality and affordability. Both the shocks and coils need to be replaced, so I was looking to go stock with the coils (since the goal is a soft ride)

Get H&R 1" springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks. Add a 1.25" BL if you want an additional lift that you will actually notice.
1.25" lift with 31s.

p.s. To answer your original question, Rancho adjustable shocks won't work with a 1" lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Get H&R 1" springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks. Add a 1.25" BL if you want an additional lift that you will actually notice.
1.25" lift with 31s.

p.s. To answer your original question, Rancho adjustable shocks won't work with a 1" lift.
I did this to my LJ as well, but I also added Daystart 3/4" coil spacers to the front and back. I'm very happy with the final result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts