Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. My 1995 YJ needs new shocks.
It’s pretty much a mall crawler/daily driver, don’t really take it off road. No lift, pretty much all stock except for 31” tires. (Could I sound like any less fun? Haha.)

Basically just looking for the most comfortable ride possible (and yeah, I know that’s a relative term with Jeeps, especially YJs).

I did a ton of reading on here, and I gather that you guys like Bilsteins, OMEs and Ranchos. Question: in my situation, which ones would you point me toward?

If Bilstein, should I go 5100 or 4600?

If Rancho, go 5000x, 7000MT or 9000XL?

Or if OME, which ones would be best?

From what I’ve read, some are more stiff, while others more soft (still talking about Jeeps here.) Trying to find what would be the best match for what I’m running, and appreciate your expertise. Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I personally would go with either ones you mentioned.....

All are a good quality shock... and good for what you do, and/or don't do ; )

I would be a fan of which ever ones you could get the cheapest.....

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
You will pay a little more for the name and the advertising that goes along with it, but for my money I've always felt that Ranchos gave me the best bang for my buck, been running them since the 80's. Smooth on the road and dampens great off pavement for the way I drive. YMMV...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I think my biggest concern is if I get something that's designed to handle a pounding on the trails, and that it'll be too stiff for the pavement... if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Thanks guys.
I think my biggest concern is if I get something that's designed to handle a pounding on the trails, and that it'll be too stiff for the pavement... if that makes sense.
Go Rancho!!! LOL...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Let us know what your opinion is after you have some time on them. Please

1 - 9 of 9 Posts