Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a TJ in which the fan had been changed to some plastic type fan. The plastic fan is now cracked in 15+ places and needs replacement. Everything is still mechanical and looks "stock" except for the actual white plastic fan.

I was thinking of staying with a belt driven fan instead of going electric. I'm looking at going with the Flex-a-lite 1517 Gold Star Stainless Steel 17" flex fan.

Link to Amazon's product page for the fan.

From the looks of things, this fan doesn't need a fan clutch. Is this correct?

If so, then it looks like it requires a "Flex-a-lite 14556 Mill Finish 2" Fan Spacer Kit" spacer to get proper clearance from the belts. I also see several websites trying to sell an additional "Flex-a-lite 851 1 1/2" Screw-On Spacer Adapter" as well. To me, these two things seem almost redundant of each other. Do I need both?

A picture of each item attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I recently bought a TJ in which the fan had been changed to some plastic type fan. The plastic fan is now cracked in 15+ places and needs replacement. Everything is still mechanical and looks "stock" except for the actual white plastic fan.
post pictures. it may be the Explorer fan upgrade, which some find to be beneficial. they do indeed crack, but its really only aesthetic and new replacements are available.

I was thinking of staying with a belt driven fan instead of going electric. I'm looking at going with the Flex-a-lite 1517 Gold Star Stainless Steel 17" flex fan.

Link to Amazon's product page for the fan.

From the looks of things, this fan doesn't need a fan clutch. Is this correct?

If so, then it looks like it requires a "Flex-a-lite 14556 Mill Finish 2" Fan Spacer Kit" spacer to get proper clearance from the belts. I also see several websites trying to sell an additional "Flex-a-lite 851 1 1/2" Screw-On Spacer Adapter" as well. To me, these two things seem almost redundant of each other. Do I need both?

A picture of each item attached...
I would suggest avoiding this whole mess, and stick with a clutch type fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts