Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we go with 35" tires and new 17" wheels on our 2012 Unlimited is there a specific offset or backspacing required to keep this new rubber under the stock flares?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
You probably won't be able to unless you can find some really narrow 35s. Most 35s are going to be 12.5" wide or so, and that will require 4.5" of backspacing or lower, which will generally put the tires out at least a little beyond the fenders.

So keeping as close to 4.5" as possible will be best--a lot of aftermarket wheels are more in the 3" to 4" of backspacing range, which will stick them out pretty far.

Folks in states that require the fenders to cover the tires often buy wider fender flares for this very reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MTH, I see that you have the teraflex 2.5" lift and 33"s. Does your set up allow you to keep your tires under the stock flares?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
sgrishaw said:
MTH, I see that you have the teraflex 2.5" lift and 33"s. Does your set up allow you to keep your tires under the stock flares?
No sir. If you were to look at the jeep from above, you'd see about an inch or so of tires.

It has nothing to do with the lift or the tire height--it has to do with wheel backspacing and tire width. I have 3.75" of backspacing and 12.5" wide tires. Those are going to stick out beyond the fenders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts