Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a stock front bumper cut down to make a stubby bumper with a winch mounted on it???
looking for pictures please!!!
-Vernon

·
Registered
99 Posts
97_wrangler said:
anyone have a stock front bumper cut down to make a stubby bumper with a winch mounted on it???
looking for pictures please!!!
-Vernon
I cut 6.5" off each side, came down about 1.5" from the top and cut again at a 45 degree angle. Ground the bumper smooth to rid it of the factory textured finish and bedlined it. I made the light bar to bolt into my factory tow hook location. Braced the back of the bumper with 3/16" steel and added 360 degree swivel d rings that I got from a Land Rover aftermarket parts dealer. I love it and get tons of compliments. It definitely looks better and improved my approach angle tremendously. Back bumper is next...

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Here's a stock yj bumper cut down for my cj. No winch mount yet but its coming. I did this with a mig welder and an angle grinder. So its a little off but I'm gonna go back and straighten it out. The only part I added was a piece of 3/16 steel to the bottom lip to reinforce where the p.o. hit a tree. And yes, I know I need to reseat my leaf springs.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
These are the best pics I have right now but here's my stock one cut down and angles cut on each end with a winch plate and warm m8000

Land vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Regularity rally Car

Off-roading Off-road vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ravenworks said:
I don't know if I would trust those or not,you should have your recovery points tied into the frame.
I've upgraded to Gr 8 hardware for my bumper bolts. The brackets behind the d rings are actually shaped like the bumper, c channel style, so they fit over the ends of the frame then the bumper fits over that and the bolt goes through both. I had to bend the bumper out a little to get it to squeeze over the d ring brackets but it wasn't too bad seeing as the bumper is fairly thin. Good point though, I've seen all too many recovery points ripped out b/c they were just bolted right to the stock bumper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys they all look really good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts