Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mistake and let my son drive my 2017 Rubicon two door for a day . He is needing a new DD he is only 3 miles from his job and his Ford Ranger a 2009 is about shot (149,000 miles ) now he is looking at a new Wrangler Sport two door with almost zero options . He will order it with only power steering - power brakes and AC . It will show up with 3:21 gears and a 6 speed manual trans . My Rubicon has 4:10 gears and 6 speed and he loved it . Just how bad will it be with this rearing he will used this also for hunting trips and zero mod,s .

·
Registered
227 Posts
3:21 is pretty anemic IMO. But if he's not doing anything will it except hunting (im assuming dirt roads) and driving around town, it should be fine. I wouldn't go crazy with it though. If he can swing it, get the tow package and the 3:73 gears and he'd be in a better spot. Just my .02.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you keep it stock, the 3.21s are fine. My '17 JKU had 3.21s on it and it was fine until I upgraded everything and moved to 4.88s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
he is looking at a new Wrangler Sport two door with almost zero options . He will order it with only power steering - power brakes and AC .
You mention hes ordering a new wrangler, wouldn't it be JL not a JK? As far as I know they stopped making the JK in March 2018. Maybe I'm wrong, at any rate 3.21 on stock 2 door/6spd should be fine though I would suggest he try to test drive one before ordering.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New JL Sport comes with 3.45 standard gear ratio no more 3.21
I did not know that I guess that (3:45) would make it better ?
I posted in the JK part because I thought I would get more answers to this question . THANK YOU .

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
It will be far cheaper to order the Jeep with the gears you need vs regearing after the fact. Think you can order 4.10s pretty cheap.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I did not know that I guess that (3:45) would make it better ?
I posted in the JK part because I thought I would get more answers to this question . THANK YOU .
IMO JK 3.21 AT problem is in transmission programming and not axle ratio.
shifting points are out of whack.
when I drive it in manual mode is ok. I would probably be much happier with 3.21 MT 6 speed.

3.45 with MT as a DD should be perfect
Again we are not talking about 40" wheels and rock crawling just street driving and some light to medium offroading.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I don't believe there are any options on differential gearing. If you buy a Rubicon, you get 4.10s, everything else has 3.45s with no upgrade options from the factory. PB and PS are standard equipment now. While you can order a Wrangler without A/C, I doubt any dealer outside of Alaska would have one on their lot. If you ordered said Wranger, you would probably have to make a hefty down payment before they ordered it, for if you backed out, they would be stuck with an almost unsaleable vehicle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
While you can order a Wrangler without A/C, I doubt any dealer outside of Alaska would have one on their lot.
We were down in Montgomery, Alabama in June, and test drove a couple JL's.

Dealer had a 2 door sport on the lot with no AC... In Montgomery, Alabama... In June... No AC... :facepalm:

My guess it is still on their lot, unless they gave it away....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts