Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I have searched for more info on the stock lights, but have not had much luck... is it just me, or do the stock lights suck? Could it be the 2" lift causing the problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I would re-aim them, but they're not that great to begin with. I swapped out the original Phillips bulbs in my 10 Rubi as soon as I got it and went with Phillips +80's, as per Hilldwellers suggestion. A lot better. I decided not to run upgraded wiring which would even maximize the capability. Hilldweller can give you top notch info.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well if you find anything on this sudject pleases post it on this thread cuz I to agree the stock headlight aren't that great.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Agree with kik, you should re-aim them after lifting, they are not adjusted to be sitting higher. But, they do pretty much suck.....

·
Kansas Coyote
575 Posts
I would re-aim them, but they're not that great to begin with. I swapped out the original Phillips bulbs in my 10 Rubi as soon as I got it and went with Phillips +80's, as per Hilldwellers suggestion. A lot better. I decided not to run upgraded wiring which would even maximize the capability. Hilldweller can give you top notch info.
+3! :) Here's one link. Great improvement!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, i thought it was just how i was searching.... it brought up everything except what i wanted....

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
All, I have searched for more info on the stock lights, but have not had much luck... is it just me, or do the stock lights suck? Could it be the 2" lift causing the problem?

Thanks!
Yes; the stock headlights pretty-much suck for a few reasons.

The H13 is a bulb design that has some "suck" built in; it was crafted to be cheap, not good. There are luckily better H13 bulbs like the Phillips XP +80.
But there are some that are worse like Sylvania Silverstars, PIAA, or any of the other blue-tinted nonsense.

The reflectors aren't good at focusing the light. Not much you can do except replace them; if you do, get a quality H4 one like Cibie, Marchal, or Hella. Avoid IPF & Delta.

The stock wiring doesn't provide as much voltage as it could due to PWM. This is easy to cure with an auxiliary power harness, fuses, relays, and sockets.

Here's a thread where we were talking headlights recently.

And, in this thread, check out post 16 about a new LED product that one of the members on here is trying out. He hasn't posted how he likes it yet but DS tells me that they work pretty darn well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts