Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won’t rehash the whole story here but I have had nothing but problems with my Mopar springs purchased in 2016, I just pulled them off and had them fixed again and am back to the same old problems with leafs in the pack shifting.

Conscious to say I’m done with the Mopar springs, I don’t care to fix them anymore.

So with that out of the way I’m looking into some Stengel Bros springs, but I just wanted to pick your brains a bit.

Wrangler Leaf Springs - Stengel Bros Inc.

Usage: casually tooling around, occasionally carrying heavy supplies in the back such as several bags of driveway patch, a 70lb+ Knaack box, light off the beaten path use.

I’m considering running a 5 leaf pack front and rear (97-565), I just wanted to hear any thoughts about doing this... I know the ride might be a bit stiffer, but I’m just looking for a little more durability in the front with out going heavy duty, but for the sake of argument let’s say I did go with both heavy duty options (97-442 & 97-567), how much am I’m going to suffer?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've heard good things about General Spring in Kansas City.

Anyway, how do your springs keep shifting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I only knew, The first time was the rear due to the main eyes shifting, that has been taken out of the equation with poly bushings, now it’s the front.

I’m done with these springs, I’ve removed them twice and brought them to a truck leaf shop, I’m not playing games with these anymore.

Stengel Bros is in driving distance, I’m pretty sure they both source their springs from DaytonParts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'd go w alcan spring OR reconsider stock height and go w re or bds 2.5"

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve thought about Alcan or Atlas springs, though I haven’t called them I’m sure the cost would be considerable, for my needs there is no reason to go higher than stock, besides that’s just opening up a new can of worms... and after reading this forum for 5 years I know exactly where that leads :)

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
Reading the alcan site, makes you wonder what you are getting when you buy off the shelf springs. Alcan asks quite a bit of questions concerning weight placement, engine, spare tire location, everything.
Now, even RE are looking looking a little cookie cutter.

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
Reading the alcan site, makes you wonder what you are getting when you buy off the shelf springs. Alcan asks quite a bit of questions concerning weight placement, engine, spare tire location, everything.
Now, even RE are looking looking a little cookie cutter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Last year, Feb. 2018, I installed the stock heavy duty springs front and back from General Springs in K.C. with their bushings and mucho happy so far. I have a gang box full of recovery tools in the back thats fairly heavy, but never going to have a hard top. Anyway, this 1990 YJ handles like a go cart around town and has been a pleasure to drive, mostly on weekends.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last year, Feb. 2018, I installed the stock heavy duty springs front and back from General Springs in K.C. with their bushings and mucho happy so far. I have a gang box full of recovery tools in the back thats fairly heavy, but never going to have a hard top. Anyway, this 1990 YJ handles like a go cart around town and has been a pleasure to drive, mostly on weekends.
Still have both track bars installed?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,510 Posts
I've been running the General Spring heavy duty springs front & rear for 4 years now. I run a hard top & winch and pull a trailer on occasion.

I've been real happy with those springs. They appear to be top quality.
The only issue I've had is that with 31" tires on aftermarket wheels, the drivers side tire sidewall would rub on the spring clamp bolt. (see pic 1). The real easy solution was turn the bolt around (see pic 2).
This is no reflection on the quality of the product. If I was running stock sized tires on stock wheels the spring clamp bolt wouldn't be an issue. BTW, when I look at the spring clamps on lesser springs, I like the General Spring clamps better.

I installed mid-grade NAPA shocks when I installed the springs and am completely satisfied with how the Jeep drives on the street.

If you have issues with your springs shifting, perhaps the type of clamp that General Spring uses will cure your problem.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

Reactions: Sonny S

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve placed some calls to the custom spring shops, the prices aren’t actually that bad, however if I can’t get them before July I think I’ll probably go with he HD springs, I’m almost certain General Spring and Stengel Bros get their springs from the same supplier, so obviously I’m going to go with the guy in driving distance first.

Thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I went with General Springs, based on Luckymac's comments several years ago.:beerdrinking:

and added Old Man Emu shocks, they are fairly stiff.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like Alcan is able to get them to me in a few weeks, if anyone is interested they charge $540 for 4 springs anywhere from 0-4”

I’ll update this thread with some photos when I receive them.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I could destroy aftermarket springs in months. Finally went Alcan. They seem to last about 12yrs of my usage. Get quality springs.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well here they are, looks as though these will be a bit more durable :)... the paint job however leaves something to be desired.

While I was waiting I decided to refurbish the original bolts, get new nuts, and pick up some sway bar disconnects.

The specifications I gave were as follows:
  • Stock height
  • + 200 lbs rear
  • Light off-road capable
More photos here

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well now that I have the springs in I can say the extra money spent on custom leaf springs was definitely worth it, I actually thought it might a little harder with a larger leaf pack, boy was I wrong... bumps are less pronounced, everything feels a lot more solid, and this is with the track bars still on.

I’ll probably remove the rear track bar when my body recovers, I imagine it will only get better.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One issue on both outer sides I might need to address, from what I’ve read the rule of thumb is a nut and a few threads should clear.

I’m really getting tired of buying u bolts.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
That wouldn't concern me in the slightest

1 - 20 of 57 Posts