Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a tractor trailer was intent on continually rolling back and the stock horn wasn't doing it decided to upgrade to the PIAA 400/500hz. horns on our 10 Rubi. Installed them yesterday and a huge difference. They do sound like the old style American manufactered horns and plenty loud. Easy install and no harness required.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Can you post a sound clip?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Thanks! Does it simply replace the stock horm without addtional wiring?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Now that sounds like s horn!! Gonna look into that for sure! Thanks for the video. Can this be purchased at any/most parts stores or thru catalogue like Quadratec?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Does it simply replace the stock horm without addtional wiring?
There is a 400hz horn and a 500hz horn that comes in the pack with wiring to connect the two. I removed the stock horn and replaced it in the same location with one of the PIAA's. No drilling or cutting of anything. I located the other just to the rear close to the fender and linked them together using the stock wiring, per the instructions, and that's it. The packet also provides wiring to link the two horns from the stock set up. I used higher quality clips than were provided. No other connections are required. I have limited electrical skills and it wasn't a problem to install.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it therefore possible to have a 4-tone (2 stock, 2 new) horn?
Yes, you need to run a relay to handle the additional amps and wiring. It depends on how much you want to put into it. I don't know how much the stock wiring can handle.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I just ordered it also.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice. I just found it on Amazon for $34 and ordered it.
I just ordered it also.

I am going to order it too. I saw the one for $34, but it's the higher pitch one. I am seeing the lower pitch for $39. Seems louder in the youtube videos i watched having the lower pitch. What do you guys think?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I am going to order it too. I saw the one for $34, but it's the higher pitch one. I am seeing the lower pitch for $39. Seems louder in the youtube videos i watched having the lower pitch. What do you guys think?
I bought the low pitch for $39.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
It just arrived today. I'll be putting it in soon!

·
Registered
86 Posts
When a tractor trailer was intent on continually rolling back and the stock horn wasn't doing it decided to upgrade to the PIAA 400/500hz. horns on our 10 Rubi. Installed them yesterday and a huge difference. They do sound like the old style American manufactered horns and plenty loud. Easy install and no harness required.
Sounds like a good upgrade to me!

Would you please post a picture of exactly how they are positioned under the hood?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a good upgrade to me!

Would you please post a picture of exactly how they are positioned under the hood?
I'm unable to post a pic right now, but I did a direct placement of one horn with the stock horn. I placed the other just slightly to the rear next to the driver's side fender where it doesn't interfere with anything. You can place the second horn just about anywhere you find some clearance. Sorry I can't get a pic to you.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts