Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear about your Stock Wrangler and what it can do as stock built from the factory. We all know what modded jeeps can do off road, but what about those stock jeeps, pics of your Jeep doing off road that may not seem possible to many who mod their Jeep. I my self purchased a JK to use around town as a toy and for sure not as a rock crawler, or river boat. I might pull a small camper, or just do daily rides with some off roading that is more for just scenery viewing and picture taking. I know everyone doesn't mod their Jeep as I see many around town that are in their factory built condition, let's see what you got and do with yours.

trainman

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can only speak for my 2016 JK. I have had a lot of offroad vehicles all of my life (this is my 3rd jeep), from quads to rock crawlers. my 2016 JK right off the showroom floor simply amazed me what it could do that none of my other vehicles could do (without major modification). I don't know when jeep started to do this, but my JK has the ability to use the braking system to apply the brakes to just one wheel when it lifts off of the ground so that the power stays on the wheel that is still on the ground. It simulates a locker very well. I planned to keep it 'stock' for long time... at least till I had it paid off or whore out the tires.

With that said... I quickly blew out a stock tire, scraped bumpers and undercarriage on rocks (they grow them big here in AZ). So I had to decide, what would hold up better to offroad use, factory plastic or aftermarket metal? EVERYTHING you do to make your jeep offroad better will have some kind of a tradeoff for its on road performance. You just have to decide the proper balance for YOU. I have since installed metal bumpers, winch, 35" all terrain tires, skid plates, sliders, 4" lift, and a lot of heavy gear inside. It still rides and performs very close to the way it did 'stock' on road, but my mileage has dropped 4mpg on the highway, I cant tow, it down shifts to 2nd (yes 2nd) on hills, and its always dirty for some reason :) I am happy..... hell ya! Would I go back to 'stock'?.... hell no. Was the $4000 I spent in mods making the best 'stock' offroad vehicle even better?..... YES. ..... but stock can do more than most people need it to do. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only speak for my 2016 JK. I have had a lot of offroad vehicles all of my life (this is my 3rd jeep), from quads to rock crawlers. my 2016 JK right off the showroom floor simply amazed me what it could do that none of my other vehicles could do (without major modification). I don't know when jeep started to do this, but my JK has the ability to use the braking system to apply the brakes to just one wheel when it lifts off of the ground so that the power stays on the wheel that is still on the ground. It simulates a locker very well. I planned to keep it 'stock' for long time... at least till I had it paid off or whore out the tires.

With that said... I quickly blew out a stock tire, scraped bumpers and undercarriage on rocks (they grow them big here in AZ). So I had to decide, what would hold up better to offroad use, factory plastic or aftermarket metal? EVERYTHING you do to make your jeep offroad better will have some kind of a tradeoff for its on road performance. You just have to decide the proper balance for YOU. I have since installed metal bumpers, winch, 35" all terrain tires, skid plates, sliders, 4" lift, and a lot of heavy gear inside. It still rides and performs very close to the way it did 'stock' on road, but my mileage has dropped 4mpg on the highway, I cant tow, it down shifts to 2nd (yes 2nd) on hills, and its always dirty for some reason :) I am happy..... hell ya! Would I go back to 'stock'?.... hell no. Was the $4000 I spent in mods making the best 'stock' offroad vehicle even better?..... YES. ..... but stock can do more than most people need it to do. :)
I think you missed the point of the post, looking for stock Jeeps here. Since you modded your Jeep you need to be with the other post that are into modding. I figured that you modders would jump in here and tell us all about how much better your Jeep is now and how much better it is then when it was stock. Stocker don't want to mod their Jeeps, they are happy will what the factory built. Plus the post has nothing to do with throwing money into a Jeep to make it better then the next guys Jeep, it's about enjoying a Jeep in the practical use of a stock Jeep. I know that many on this forum can't understand how some could have their Jeep stock, but stocker can. This topic is only going to apply to about 5-10% of the people on this forum so don't try to make us feel inferior, we are Jeep owner to.

trainman

trainman

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you missed the point of the post, looking for stock Jeeps here. Since you modded your Jeep you need to be with the other post that are into modding. I figured that you modders would jump in here and tell us all about how much better your Jeep is now and how much better it is then when it was stock. Stocker don't want to mod their Jeeps, they are happy will what the factory built. Plus the post has nothing to do with throwing money into a Jeep to make it better then the next guys Jeep, it's about enjoying a Jeep in the practical use of a stock Jeep. I know that many on this forum can't understand how some could have their Jeep stock, but stocker can. This topic is only going to apply to about 5-10% of the people on this forum so don't try to make us feel inferior, we are Jeep owner to.

trainman

trainman
His whole first paragraph was about how well his Jeep performed stock.

My Jeep is stock (for about another week, sorry) and is plenty capable. I have been on some tower service roads, and done mild trails. The Wrangler performed great and I really had no problem at all. The only downfall for my Wrangler is the tires. I have a sport and the tires it came with seem to be more geared towards the road, but they still performed well. I don't know if replacing tires counts as a mod to you, or what tires are on your stock Jeep. But tires will likely be the only downfall of a stock Wrangler Sport for 80% of trails most people will go on. They perform great stock.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I enjoyed my Jeep stock, after a few trips, i installed a puck which for me is still stock -- some would say -- worse than stock with the reduced travel. But stock Rubi tires etcetera. Anyways the goal was to spend a year with it and learning what the Jeep and I can do, without having all these huge lift/tires to get in the way of actually learning stuff.

After several trips, I came out really impressed with what a set of MTs and lockers -- the combo definitely gets me places where other rigs had to work a bit harder as far as traction is concerned. However the breakover is not too great on my 4-door, even worse when loaded, so the bottom saw quite a bit of action.

Stock for stock, I can't think of any other vehicle that can close to a Rubicon for offroad worthiness.

·
Registered
100 Posts

trainman

trainman
wow, a apologize for anything you interpreted as me missing your point or unworthy of comment because my jeep is no longer stock enough for you. The hard facts are jeeps are the most capable offroad vehicles from the factory. nobody can argue that. My quandary is why people would buy a jeep that doesn't 'need' a jeep or someone who doesn't 'want to use it that much as a jeep'. buy a truck or an SUV that fits your needs. Don't come to an 'offroad' site and get all hissy about people there that want to use there jeeps for what GOD indended them to be used for ..... OFFROAD!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Aside from a couple Rigid cubes, my Rubicon is all stock.
Ok, I lied, previous owner put Firestone A/Ts on it, but they were brand new, so I've kept them to get some money out of them.

All that said, it's amazed not only me, but my friends how capable it is. My friends have property, and it goes almost anywhere the UTVs and fourhweelers go. The narrow trails do require me to pinstripe the crap out of the paint. Really the only place it hasn't made it, are through trees where no trail exists, the Jeep is simply too wide.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought my 2014 completely stock with 6000 miles on the odometer and took it on my first Jeep Jamboree two weeks later. I climbed mountains in stock form. I've rock crawled. I've played in mud. They're incredibly capable in stock form.

Attached is a picture of Rocket before I did any mechanical mods. I did replace the stock flares and bumper, but the tires and suspension were completely stock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Here is my bone stock Jeep conquering huge boulders :)

In all seriousness my bone stock Jeep took me almost anywhere I wanted to go and I challenged it plenty of times.

This is the highest 4wd pass in the country at 13,185 ft. and it was very cool.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
My wife bought her JK because she wanted a Jeep, nothing more. She has said that the tires will never get dirty from driving it off-road. That's fine. If the off-road crowd doesn't like that they can start making her $430/mo payments and we will drive it however they tell us.

I added a few things to it, mainly by request. Power sidesteps, a backup camera, dash cam, pedal extenders, Metalcrafters grill insert and a few odd and ends. I'm not sure if those things still puts it in the stock category or not but we're not about to spend thousands of dollars on adding things that we will never use.

I figure if we have to pour tens of thousands of dollars into a vehicle then maybe we bought the wrong one. We were happy with it right from the factory. It came with a Trail Rated badge on the side. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a stock 2014 JKU Sport S. Except bumpers and a winch. It's gone anywhere I wanted to go and then some. It's gone the same places as my buddies Rubicons except for a couple of steep hills where I didn't trust ME. The Jeep was more than up to the task. Other than aesthetics and the "chicks dig it" factor I see no reason to mod it out for what I do. Snow, mud, dirt, sand dunes, pretty much seen it all and it's all good out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

trainman

trainman
Holy misinterpreted, Batman!! One of the worst cases I've ever seen. lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
wow, a apologize for anything you interpreted as me missing your point or unworthy of comment because my jeep is no longer stock enough for you. The hard facts are jeeps are the most capable offroad vehicles from the factory. nobody can argue that. My quandary is why people would buy a jeep that doesn't 'need' a jeep or someone who doesn't 'want to use it that much as a jeep'. buy a truck or an SUV that fits your needs. Don't come to an 'offroad' site and get all hissy about people there that want to use there jeeps for what GOD indended them to be used for ..... OFFROAD!
And here I thought the wrangler forum was about anything related to the Wrangler and not just off-roading. :banghead:

Since you're struggling to understand another person's perspective, perhaps I can help. Maybe someone other than you likes the idea of a simple vehicle with great resale? Maybe someone other than you just loves the fun factor of taking the top and doors off? Maybe someone other than you loves the way it looks? Maybe someone other than you wants to do basic simple mods and feel more connected to their vehicle? Maybe someone other than you likes the Jeep community that is full of mostly great people who don't really care what other people use their jeeps for or spend their money on? I mean, but that's other people. As for me, I just want to be more like you...judgmental, overbearing and exhausting. :Thanx:

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I had my bone stock '14 Sahara JKU out in the forest trails for over a year. I kept up with the modded Jeeps just fine - granted the trails were not all that challenging.
I also had my stock '16 Rubicon in the same places - even better.

I've only upgraded the basics for more clearance. And, because I just wanted to.

Stock Jeeps are very capable.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Those babies are clean and shiny! Takes me hours to get mine looking like that and then bam! Another rocky, dusty trail taunts me.

Nice rigs Rubi - now where is that Camaro?
Undisclosed location ..... ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm having fun with this post, 20 post in 5 hours, just seeing what makes some of you tick out there, I can see it ticks many of you where you have to post, thanks again for the numbers. Oh, tires, trailer hitches, sill plates, can all be considered as stock, I may even ok factory Mopar Accessories in the future.

trainman

1 - 20 of 40 Posts