Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 JK Sport with the base 130S/RES radio. There is noticeably annoying static when you select the Aux setting to play through the connected USB port (an iPhone is connected) and raise the volume a bit. It is easy to reproduce since you can pause the music on the iPhone and hear the full extent of the static.

Has anyone else noticed/had this issue?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have a 2014 JK Sport with the base 130S/RES radio. There is noticeably annoying static when you select the Aux setting to play through the connected USB port (an iPhone is connected) and raise the volume a bit. It is easy to reproduce since you can pause the music on the iPhone and hear the full extent of the static. Has anyone else noticed/had this issue?
I haven't noticed this. I'll play with the stereo and iPhone to see if I can reproduce.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I have a 2014 JKU Willys Wheeler and have noticed the same exact low level hum ONLY when the center USB input is selected as well. I don't have an iPhone connected to it but a 160 GB iPod Classic instead. Sounds like a ground loop problem. Don't know if the USB port isn't grounded well or what the problem is. Another thing I took notice to, and I don't know if this would introduce any "noise" into the USB or not, is that there is a white LED on the USB port for illumination of the port inside the console. I don't know if there's a ground issue between the USB and LED or if some sort of noise is being introduced into the system because of that. Glad it was brought up. I've pondered that myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to see if I can find the right cable around the house to plug directly into the aux port on the head unit to continue to troubleshoot. I just tried some music put onto a USB key and plugged into the same USB port in the center console, and have the same issue (ruling out the iPhone or iPhone USB cable).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plugging in the same iPhone through the aux port directly on the head unit eliminated any feedback. Plugging it back to the remote USB port, the noise/feedback returned. It seems to be some issue directly with that port.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Call Uconnect at 1-877-855-8400. They are open 24 hours each day. Technical Support is there from 9:00am to 9:00pm. I have a different Uconnect usb problem that they helped we with over phone that did not resolve my problem. I am told to take my Jeep in to the dealership to repair the problem. They sent me to level two and gave me a case number. Uconnect will contact the dealership to make sure that the problem is taken care of.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I will contact the support number tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what is your other issue? I also have an issue where selection of a playlist or artist does not respond. It actually starts on the connected (via USB) iPhone, but the radio does not recognize that it has started. Turning the radio off then on causes it to pick up playing the correct song. I have also noticed that sometimes the display freezes (songs keep progressing in a play list, but it shows one of the past songs on the display).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will contact the support number tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what is your other issue? I also have an issue where selection of a playlist or artist does not respond. It actually starts on the connected (via USB) iPhone, but the radio does not recognize that it has started. Turning the radio off then on causes it to pick up playing the correct song. I have also noticed that sometimes the display freezes (songs keep progressing in a play list, but it shows one of the past songs on the display).
My usb will disconnect and go in to the fm radio. Sometimes I am able to push the button and go back to the last song to where I was disconnected. Sometimes if freezes and the usb will not respond. When this happens I have to remove and insert the usb thumb drive in order to get it to play. The same thumb drive in my two cars with my pioneer radios works just fine.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
This isn't really a good comparison. The reason is because with the "AUX" cable plugged into the front port on the radio, you're using the headphone output which is an analog signal and the USB is a different signal.
That's what I was thinking too. The USB is a digital signal, and while digital can have drop outs, I can't envision how a digital signal can get "static" when playing thru the USB (the OP's problem).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I get static intermittently when playing music through the dash mounted AUX port on my 430 radio, off my iPhone (using the headphone jack). 2015 JKUR.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Unless these people have an exact replica of your issue (or anyone else at all) they are completely useless. They are script readers just like a lot of other customer service reps.
As an example:
Uconnect will contact the dealership to make sure that the problem is taken care of.
The Uconnect MFG does not contact the dealership at all and would only get involved IF there was a major issue with a large # of vehicles. Generally when there is an issue with a couple vehicles then there is either a defective item or a vehicle related issue. These audio systems are fully tested for any issues during the design process and also with a large number of test vehicles in the pre-build process before the new models are built and released. So if there are any issues, they are attacked at that point. I have had a couple vehicles with this particular Uconnect system in them and have never had this issue. (I said "this particular" system because there are 3 different Uconnect suppliers because of the many different radios that are available thru Chrysler.)
Odds are that if a tech replaced the module, the same issue may be there unless he's fully diagnosed the system and wiring in the vehicle.
Uconnect assigned a case number to my problem and told me that they will contact the dealer and follow up on it when my jeep is taken in for the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@xsdbs, connecting the iPhone directly to the head unit via the headphone jack on the iPhone and the input port (jack) on the front of the radio radio eliminates the problem (no static/feedback when the music is paused). I believe both the function of Bluetooth streaming and the external USB port (located in the center console) are features that pass through the UConnect module. Does it seem reasonable that it could be the UConnect module in this case?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My usb will disconnect and go in to the fm radio. Sometimes I am able to push the button and go back to the last song to where I was disconnected. Sometimes if freezes and the usb will not respond. When this happens I have to remove and insert the usb thumb drive in order to get it to play. The same thumb drive in my two cars with my pioneer radios works just fine.
I'm having this exact same issue with mine. The USB audio will be playing just fine and all of a sudden it switches to FM radio. If I switch the source back to USB audio it continues playing where it left off. I've also had it refuse to play anything from the USB drive a couple of times.

What size/brand USB drive are you using?
SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB

How many songs do you have on the drive?
I think I have around 1,200

What type of files are they (file type, bit rate, etc)?
MP3's, most are 320Kbps

Maybe we can find a common link between our issues.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm having this exact same issue with mine. The USB audio will be playing just fine and all of a sudden it switches to FM radio. If I switch the source back to USB audio it continues playing where it left off. I've also had it refuse to play anything from the USB drive a couple of times.

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB

I think I have around 1,200

MP3's, most are 320Kbps

Maybe we can find a common link between our issues.
TDK 16GB also tried Kingston traveler

Maybe 1,200

MP3's 128 bit rate to 160 bit rate.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I see that you join date is 2012, is that also the year of your vehicle? There was an issue in 2012 with the company that was assembling the dash structure with all the modules, radio, cluster etc. They were forcing the USB connector into the module and pushing back the pins in the module mating side of the connector. There were also times when the cable wasn't fully seated into the module.
Do you work on your own vehicles?
My Jeep is a 2015 JK Willys. Yes, I have three cars and my Jeep and I work on my own vehicles. Because my Wrangler is new and under warranty it is going back to the dealer for repair.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TDK 16GB also tried Kingston traveler

Maybe 1,200

MP3's 128 bit rate to 160 bit rate.
Nothing too similar except possibly the number of songs... I was hoping to find more of a link.

I haven't looked to see if the light is on or off when it happens. I'll try to do that next time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts