Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Jeep stock radio is really bad it's sounds awful.
Wish I got the Alpine system.
Without spending fortune what would be my best option for sound?
I also miss the touch screen my car has it
I didn't think it would be a big deal but I realize now how convenient the touch screen is.
And the back up cam I won't even go there ☹

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
@skullfreak

Here's a list of some of the best sounds anyone can have while traveling in a jeep:

1) Wind
2) Road/Tire noise
3) Rain on the soft top

When stopped or resting still:

1) Birds
2) Streams/Waterfalls
3) Chipmunks
4) Rain of the soft top
5) Wind at 14K feet

In other words.. if we could have ordered the jeep without the radio.. it wouldn't have killed us not having one. So we got the basic setup which isn't used anyway.

Edited:

Wasn't trying to persuade you from not using your radio. but have you ever stopped in traffic and a big dude on a Harley pulls up beside you who has his radio full blast tuned to something you may not like.. Of how about that type is some kid in his rice burner playing something so load, you can't think straight. Thats sort of how it feels within a jeep.

If Jeep ever created a system where the must would auto adjust based on the surround conditions.. so you can actually listen to music, yet when you enter slower traffic, the volume automatically turns down as not to disrupt others.

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
496 Posts
Basics....poly fill ur soundbar n sound proof tub. Kicker upgrade on speakers is nice too. There are a few build threads for sound systems. Some go all out with nice equipment. Myself I just used poly fill n kicker upgrade. I can't stand touch screens...have an iPhone that I cuss daily. To some extent I can see wanting back up cam if lifted n large tire on rear of jeep but otherwise no need imo. Jeeps have great visibility. Use ur side mirrors n look around to find obstacles. Mostly I think they look terrible on any vehicle's dash. Really disappointing that vehicles will be mandated to have them going forward

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Replace the deck with something aftermarket like a Pioneer 4200, and add the kicker upgrade speakers. Most people would be very happy with this, and it would cost a lot less than the overpiced Alpine system.

If you want to really rock it you can start adding amplifiers and a sub. Again, you could do this all for less than the premium Alpine system.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replace the deck with something aftermarket like a Pioneer 4200, and add the kicker upgrade speakers. Most people would be very happy with this, and it would cost a lot less than the overpiced Alpine system.

If you want to really rock it you can start adding amplifiers and a sub. Again, you could do this all for less than the premium Alpine system.

Not looking for something crazy loud.
Just better quality.
I try the pollyfill first.
And go from there thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
You think the Wrangler radio is bad?

Be very thankful you dont have a Subaru WRX
The worst sounding P.O.S. I have ever encountered. :atomic:
Makes my JK sound like heaven

Dante

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Is it a 130 ? If so , turn it on first .

Is your radio a 130 ? You didn't mention whether you turned it on . The 130 works far better than the more expensive one , when I wear my hearing aid . I'm deaf , so I don't care if it works or not .:bop:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your radio a 130 ? You didn't mention whether you turned it on . The 130 works far better than the more expensive one , when I wear my hearing aid . I'm deaf , so I don't care if it works or not .:bop:
Lol yes a 130
And yes I turned it on...

·
Registered
153 Posts
If I could do it again, I would go this route:

Order the higher powered radio linked below. It seems to be the highest powered aftermarket radio available. No need for amps. With that one, you should be able to hear the tunes with the top down/doors off.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_92652_Sony-MEX-XB100BT-Stereo-w-Built-In-160W-Amplifier.html

Order some takeoff speakers from the Alpine Premium Sound package. I did this and they are GREAT! You will need a 400-600 Hz bass blocker on the small speakers.

Jeep Wrangler JK 07-17 Sound Bar Speaker 6.5" Alpine OEM

Jeep Wrangler JK 14-17 Dash or Sound Bar Speaker 4" Alpine OEM | eBay

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Can you point me in the right direction for speakers?
I just removed the stock ones and adding Polly fill.
Do the new speakers plug right in to the existing plug?
And will screw right up to the stock mounting holes?
Thx

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
If Jeep ever created a system where the must would auto adjust based on the surround conditions.. so you can actually listen to music, yet when you enter slower traffic, the volume automatically turns down as not to disrupt others.
I would have to agree. A radio with speed sensitive volume would be great. The Ford factory radio from 15+ years ago, had that feature.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Be very thankful you dont have a Subaru WRX
The worst sounding P.O.S. I have ever encountered. :atomic:
Makes my JK sound like heaven
Even with that shark difference, I would have to say that a Wrangler has to be amongst the worse acoustic environments in any passenger vehicle today. I mean, if good sound is at all very important to one, a Wrangler is a pretty bad choice.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yea the stock head unit is garbage. Replace it first even the paper speakers sound fine after you replace the head unit. Your sound system will only sound as good as the AMP pushing it. Garbage head unit = garbage sound, better head unit = better sound. I did poly fill my sound bar speakers afterward, some like it some don't, seems better to me and that's whats important. Speaker upgrades are nice but you'll be way under powering aftermarket speakers most of the time with the stock head unit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the 430Z and its horrible. I replaced the sound bar and front dash wit Polk Audio db651s and polyfiil everything, a little better. The issue is you need power at least 45 Watts.
I`m thinking of just getting a class D amp cutting the 8 wires to the Polk speakers and
that might do it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even with that shark difference, I would have to say that a Wrangler has to be amongst the worse acoustic environments in any passenger vehicle today. I mean, if good sound is at all very important to one, a Wrangler is a pretty bad choice.
I just did the pollyfill just now.
I would like to get the speakers for now where's the best place to buy them?
Just the larger ones in sound bar for now. Thx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Crutchfeild or Amazon Polk or Kicker are the best fit. Fit right in NP. Make sure they are 61/2 for both sound bar and front dash. I also purchased a set of drop in tweeters from Quadratec for the top dash. They also have the Kicker speakers.

Polk Audio db651s 6-1/2" 2-way shallow-mount car speakers are waterproof so I purchased them. I have been searching the internet for a while for a way to upgrade the sound system. Can`t change the head unit with out modifications.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
@skullfreak

Here's a list of some of the best sounds anyone can have while traveling in a jeep:

1) Wind
2) Road/Tire noise
3) Rain on the soft top

When stopped or resting still:

1) Birds
2) Streams/Waterfalls
3) Chipmunks
4) Rain of the soft top
5) Wind at 14K feet

In other words.. if we could have ordered the jeep without the radio.. it wouldn't have killed us not having one. So we got the basic setup which isn't used anyway.

Edited:

Wasn't trying to persuade you from not using your radio. but have you ever stopped in traffic and a big dude on a Harley pulls up beside you who has his radio full blast tuned to something you may not like.. Of how about that type is some kid in his rice burner playing something so load, you can't think straight. Thats sort of how it feels within a jeep.

There are times when I get in and don't turn the radio on at for the 40 min drive home. Good time to listen to your Jeep. Make sure it's not making any funny noises.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
One would have been thrilled at the roads we drove this weekend, assuming they enjoy the silence of the great out doors. Every time we came to a stop sign, we just listened. Nothing for miles around. Our back roads leading to small towns are dieing off cause the major highways are in a rush to get those in a hurry from point A to point B as fast as they can. Off roading is just part of the over all picture.. driving these small no name roads tends to make one reflect on how things use to be.

·
Registered
900 Posts
poly fill sound bar. Up grade speakers At least sound bar speakers. Get a 4 channel amp does not need to be top of the line. It is a jeep. I go like panasonic 45 watt Some thing like that and kicker sound bar speakers and it sounds good. Top off can get loud enough to hear fine and no distortion.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Can you point me in the right direction for speakers?
I just removed the stock ones and adding Polly fill.
Do the new speakers plug right in to the existing plug?
And will screw right up to the stock mounting holes?
Thx
If you want the Kicker upgrade speakers you can just do a Google search for Jeep Wrangler Kicker upgrade, or something similar. I ended up picking up some for my soundbar off amazon for really cheap. If you get the Jeep upgrade ones then they will just be plug and play, no adapters or anything needed.

You can get stuff that fits from Crutchfield, etc. But you may need an adapter ring or a wiring plug adapter. Crutchfield is usually pretty good at providing that stuff, or selling it really cheap. So you don't have to limit yourself to an official Kicker upgrade.

Adding polyfill makes a small improvement. It's useful to give you a little better bass, but don't expect miracles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts