Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have toyed with the idea of the OME 2 inch lift / shocks (for looks only and to support heavier bumper) along with Duratrac 31's. Now...so I can spend $ on other upgrades, I'm leaning toward a cheap BB with either no shocks or new shocks (OME??)

What I can say now as that my stock 2003 X rides fine although a little (too much?) roll in corners. Have 40,000 miles...shocks shouldn't be worn out. If I do a BB and keep my stock coils...I know I can keep stock shocks and expect basically the same ride quality. However...if I wanted to spend a little more and replace the shocks...with OME or Skyjacker Hydros....will my ride quality get same, better or maybe slightly worse? Keep in mind...I plan for minimal (if any) off roading so on-road ride quality is important.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a BB, with stock shocks, it feels good, but if you are thinking in replacing the shocks I'll say go for something better than the hydros, maybe some bilsteins or some rancho 9000's.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I bought a Daystar BB and OME shocks, but I've yet to install them. I bought this combination hoping to get a little lift and a better ride.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I ran stock springs and BB w OME shocks. I still have stock springs w BB up front w OME rear springs as I had issues w stockers bottoming out (heavy rear bumper, full size 33 spare, and tire carrier). I was worried about ride also, but am pretty happy w my combination.

If you are not sagging in the rear I would keep the stock rear springs. I only had the bottoming out issue w aggressive off-road driving. OME shocks are well liked, and I see why.

However, the Bilsteins I had on my 97 seemed softer (better ride) than my OME Nitrochargers.

So, my advise would be to run the stock springs and either Bilsteins or regular OME shocks.

My other question would be why the BB with 31s? 31s cleared nicely on my 97 w stock height. I also had an aftermarket rear bumper on the 97. And if you already dislike your body roll, a lift will make it worse. If I didn't off road a bunch, I would stay stock height, Bilsteins, and 31s.

If you want less body roll, Addco makes a nice set of sway bars for TJs. Cornering is much more consistent. Body roll is greatly reduced. However, ride is a bit stiffer with them. I am running them now front and rear (however and anti-rock is in the mail for me - again for off road).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you want a more comfortable ride, then go with the Hyrdo's and stay away from gass pressured, heavier duty shocks. I have actaully spent time calling three of the popular manufactures and they have all told me the same thing. I think we assume that something that cost more is better, but it really depends on what you want to do with it.

Hydros are intended for street use and mild to moderate off-road use. So, for the ocassional person that leaves the street, they should be fine w/o sacrificing ride quality on the street. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I ran a re bb w/ the cheap twin tube shocks. Rode better than stock. I now run ome hd springs with the re twin tubes. Rides fine, better than with the bb. If I was to do it over, I would have gone with a nicer lift to start with. It's an investment in on and off road manners. Also, if you are looking to do other stuff then skip the lift for now. You may decide to go bigger down the line. You can always get a 1" body lift for a little extra clearance. It's cheaper and will allow you to upgrade skids and what not down the line if you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts