Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need new tires x5 for my new to me 2014 rubicon X. Not looking to go bigger than original. I want the off-road traction and also Midwest snow and ice roads with less noise if possible. Cheapest right now is the BFG KM just like it came with but I like the looks of the Yokohama geolander. Anything else I should consider?
It's been 30 years since I had a Goodyear tire I didn't hate. I've had good history with Michelin passenger car tires and Firestone truck tires. Gonna need something very soon, winter is coming.
Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2018 willys and I am going with the 255/80r17 Nitto ridge Grapplers most likely. Same width as stock but about 1.75-2 inches taller.
Thanks. Is that with stock suspension or lift?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine has 2 inch Mopar lift but I believe that tire will work without a lift but I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,593 Posts
The Hankook Dynapro ATM’s provide excellent longevity and traction. I’ve run them through Wisconsin winters without issue before I started running true snow tires. They may not be the sexiest tire but they are a proven performer.

Another option would be to check CL for a set of snow tires, run them through winter then buy new AT in Spring.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
OK, you won't want to get Duratracs from the hated GY. How about Falken Wildpeak AT3W, in 235-80-17, which is .8" narrower (good for snow) and only .26" shorter than stock. Something like the Bridgestone Blizzak is slanted heavily to winter use, not so much for trails or longevity.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Who says y'all won't help a newby? Appreciate the opinions.
Considering the BFG KO2. Some of the tire site reviews are terrible but other sites and some folks here seem to like them.
I'm only willing to go slightly taller and not any wider. Will be sticking with stock wheels.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
Thanks. Who says y'all won't help a newby? Appreciate the opinions.
Considering the BFG KO2. Some of the tire site reviews are terrible but other sites and some folks here seem to like them.
I'm only willing to go slightly taller and not any wider. Will be sticking with stock wheels.
Take a look at the Kumho AT51. It is a top performer in ice/snow. You can check the reviews...

They also have a rare 275/70-17 size which is 3/4" wider than stock and only 1/4" taller making it an easy/perfect no worry fit.

http://kumhotireusa.com/tire-category-sub-detail/light-truck-uhp/all-terrain/43/road venture at51

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
If you are not going to be mud bogging, get the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Best tire on the market.

If you are going to be in the mud, try the Goodyear Duratrac or the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. Both are good on and off road for snow and mud.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are not going to be mud bogging, get the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Best tire on the market.
Looks good and reviews are great. Not seeing them in the stock size yet but still looking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I just had my local Discount order me 5 of the Falkens so they will have them for the Friday-Saturday after Thanksgiving, when the Black Friday deal will be in effect. I will also get a DT credit card to save that $50. They should be a lot better in the snow than my KM's and if they don't do all I want on rocky trails, I will still have the KM's on another set of wheels.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts

If you are going to be in the mud, try the Goodyear Duratrac or the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. Both are good on and off road for snow and mud.
The Falkens are good, but fall behind a tire like the Kumho in ice and snow.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The Falkens are good, but fall behind a tire like the Kumho in ice and snow.
I'm not sure there's enough evidence to show the Kumho is necessarily superior to the Falken in winter conditions. Both the Road Venture AT51 and Wildpeak A/T3W have achieved the 3-peak mountain snowflake for severe snow conditions.

The A/T3W is currently available in 265/70R17, which will fit on a stock JK with the factory wheels.

From the Falken website:

An optimized tread design combined with a silica tread compound enable the A/T3W to excel in three areas: wear, winter, and wet performance. Designed for severe snow conditions, every A/T3W tire is qualified by the Rubber Manufacturers Association for the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) symbol. The A/T3W is packed with technology, from Falken’s patented 3D Canyon Sipes to an all-new proprietary lower sidewall. Full-depth sipes and grooves maintain consistent performance and appearance throughout the life of the tire.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Yes I'd go for 265/70-17 if you're waiting on the 255/75-17 to be available. The 265/70 is practically identical in the real world.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
I'm not sure there's enough evidence to show the Kumho is necessarily superior to the Falken in winter conditions. Both the Road Venture AT51 and Wildpeak A/T3W have achieved the 3-peak mountain snowflake for severe snow conditions.

The A/T3W is currently available in 265/70R17, which will fit on a stock JK with the factory wheels.

From the Falken website:
I'm not saying they are bad... But I have a unique (although disconnected) experience in this actual comparison. A customer of mine lives in Flagstaff and last year put on Kumho AT51's on his Ford F150 replacing Duratracs and Falken AT3W's on his Jeep, replacing KM2's. He likes them both, but says the Kumho is better in the snow. The Falken's are similar in performance to the Duratrac's which were the gold standard. That means they are very good. We talk Jeeps, tires, etc all the time...

Won't be a bad choice with any of those tires...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts