Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a set of Rubi BFG,s this weekend. My 12 Sport has the GoodYears. I am happy with the tread design,but hate the white letters,and the serrated sidewalls. I have seen several complaints of the BFG,s in snow,are they that bad? I will not be off roading,and like the smooth sidewalls as they clean up nice. Any thoughts? Dont flame me for not being an off roader,i just like a clean and shiny Jeep:hide:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Are they the stock KMs that come with the stock 2012 Rubicons? If so, yes, they will be pretty bad on packed snow and ice, and okay on unpacked powder- to a degree. My Subaru and 4Runner with All-Terrain tires are far far better. So be careful and consider siping those KMs. The siping will help a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On all terrain tires, I have found Kumho's to work the best without chains, but 2 sets of cable or chains are the surest thing for safe driving in ice packed snow. Just rear gives traction but no steerage or braking, just front gives steerage and braking but no traction. Take some advice, go with 2 sets of chains and go slow for safety. If that don't work, then you need not to be driving in those conditions.

·
BBQTIME
174 Posts
they are fine if you don't drive like it's dry. I took em all over the icy mtns of WV and only encountered minor slipping on the steepest of uphill switchbacks.
That being said- don't let the massive tread blocks fool you. They will let go just like a street tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
sjfd.recapt said:
On all terrain tires, I have found Kumho's to work the best without chains, but 2 sets of cable or chains are the surest thing for safe driving in ice packed snow. Just rear gives traction but no steerage or braking, just front gives steerage and braking but no traction. Take some advice, go with 2 sets of chains and go slow for safety. If that don't work, then you need not to be driving in those conditions.
I thought the owner's manual states not to use chains as the tires are too big? I will be getting a set before to long, just in case I need a little extra traction. Besides the chains make the snow tire legal during chain requirements.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
^ this is correct that is what the manual says

As far as how a stock Rubicon handles in snow give me about 3 months and I will find out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
HunterTheBeagle said:
^ this is correct that is what the manual says

As far as how a stock Rubicon handles in snow give me about 3 months and I will find out.
In 3 months, I too should know how the stock tire handle in the snow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just remember you have a short wheelbase and are very light. It's all in technique - years ago I handled a RWD Camaro in blizzard with minimal issues and tons of tire spins...

It all just takes lots of practice and a little extra throttle...

Regardless of what you drive and where you are the best drivers are always prepared - proper emergency kits make all the difference. Don't forget the tow strap!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Just remember you have a short wheelbase and are very light. It's all in technique
Regardless of what you drive and where you are the best drivers are always prepared - proper emergency kits make all the difference. Don't forget the tow strap!
^^ This.

The stock Rubi tires will suck in snow. However, snow driving depends more on driver skill than the tire...though the tire helps.

Compensate.

Drive slower. Give yourself more time to stop. Pump the brakes, rather than stepping on em. A good siped tire, such as the GoodYear DuraTrac, will make travel infinitely easier.

Watch out for simpletons. Especially at the beginning of snow season, there are a lot of em on the road. They seem to have to re-learn how to drive in slippery conditions every year. Get outta their way. Let em crash into each other, and slip by.

If you know how to drive in snow/ice, you'll be fine. If not, a specific tire won't save your bacon...

·
Registered
571 Posts
^^ This.

The stock Rubi tires will suck in snow. However, snow driving depends more on driver skill than the tire...though the tire helps.

Compensate.

Drive slower. Give yourself more time to stop. Pump the brakes, rather than stepping on em. A good siped tire, such as the GoodYear DuraTrac, will make travel infinitely easier.

Watch out for simpletons. Especially at the beginning of snow season, there are a lot of em on the road. They seem to have to re-learn how to drive in slippery conditions every year. Get outta their way. Let em crash into each other, and slip by.

If you know how to drive in snow/ice, you'll be fine. If not, a specific tire won't save your bacon...
+1 The trafficability of a jeep directly proportional to the individual behind the wheel. a jeep can get stuck in almost any condition if you don't use common sense. it will probably go through 3 foot of snow, but not for long. frame becomes the limiting factor, not the tires. ice is bad for any vehicle and the only thing that compensates for that are studs or chains. hard packed snow, without ice, isn't too bad and can be navigated within the limitations of your driving and vehicle ability. The short end of the two door can break away quickly but does well of you don't try and push it beyond the road conditions. if you have concern, find a parking lot after a big snow and go have fun. i come from upstate n.y. where the snow can get pretty deep upon occasion. i've driven a chevette in over 12 inches of new snow with all seasons on it. also in packed snow it hung like it was on pavement. a lot depends on your driving ability and levels of stupidity. so, keep your expectations on what it will do and drive sensibly and you will be fine. even in 4 x 4 and low range, a jeep will not climb a tree....but it will take you almost anywhere you want to go.
jmho

cass :wavey:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts