Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that you suffer some ground clearance issues vs the rubicon or S package with Sahara 18's vs other size tires with that height.

Will 15" MB72's change that?

I assume they will due to more rubber and less rim....

What are the other advantages of 33" Dtacs on 15" rims, vs keeping stock sahara 18"'s (besides price and availability)

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Wheel size has nothing to do with ground clearance. Only the tire diameter.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
there is no diff in ground clearance with wheels...only bigger tires solve that....advantage of 15" rims is price, availability, weight (mpg), and looks ;]

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
there is no diff in ground clearance with wheels...only bigger tires solve that....advantage of 15" rims is price, availability, weight (mpg), and looks ;]
And bigger sidewalls in a comparably sized tire, resulting in better air down ability and a more comfortable ride. Also, the stock wheels have high backspacing such that the tires he's considering will not fit--he needs new wheels or spacers. :thumb:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel size has nothing to do with ground clearance. Only the tire diameter.
Check!

Check

And bigger sidewalls in a comparably sized tire, resulting in better air down ability and a more comfortable ride. Also, the stock wheels have high backspacing such that the tires he's considering will not fit--he needs new wheels or spacers. :thumb:
Check!

So, is there a lighter setup of 33's (reasonably priced) other then the MB72/Dtac setup?

I want the functionality and weight savings. (this is a soon to be trail rider, but always a DD)

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
So, is there a lighter setup of 33's (reasonably priced) other then the MB72/Dtac setup?
For tires, there's nothing lighter than a DuraTrac that I'm aware of in the 33x12.5R15 size. For wheels, there are comparably light 15" alloys. I did 15" Black Rock D-Windows, which are about the same weight (see here). Here's a series of links to 15" alloys that will fit. I'd expect they'd all be around 20 lbs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For tires, there's nothing lighter than a DuraTrac that I'm aware of in the 33x12.5R15 size. For wheels, there are comparably light 15" alloys. I did 15" Black Rock D-Windows, which are about the same weight (see here). Here's a series of links to 15" alloys that will fit. I'd expect they'd all be around 20 lbs.
As I get closer to buying time I'll have to keep comparing.

Its hard to compare without seeing them on a black 4dr.

MB72's look pretty good overall, will I need to get new bump stops?

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
I've been following your discussion of 15" alloy wheels and 33" duratracs with great interest.

After reading about the advantages of thinner tires for the type of conditions that I usually encounter in this article:

Expeditions West: Tire Selection for Expedition Travel

.... I'm also considering procomp 8170 series, alloys in 15" size (16 lbs.), and BFG MT KM2s in 33x10.5x15 for the narrower tread, easier fit w/o lift (?) and light weight (49lbs.) A total of 10 lbs/tire less than stock (!)

Lots of thinking to do about the thinner tread though. Kind of goes against my intuition.....

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
[W]ill I need to get new bump stops?
For the tailgate? Yes. Here's a pic of my tailgate now with the stock bumpstops:

As you can see, the stock bumpstops plainly no longer reach the tire. The MB72s have slightly less backspacing, so the tire will be even further away. That said, the set up is so lightweight that I'd guess there's not a lot of risk to the tire carrier while onroad. To go offroad though, I'd want it properly bumpstopped.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I've been following your discussion of 15" alloy wheels and 33" duratracs with great interest.

After reading about the advantages of thinner tires for the type of conditions that I usually encounter in this article:

.... I'm also considering procomp 8170 series, alloys in 15" size (16 lbs.), and BFG MT KM2s in 33x10.5x15 for the narrower tread, easier fit w/o lift (?) and light weight (49lbs.) A total of 10 lbs/tire less than stock (!)

Lots of thinking to do about the thinner tread though. Kind of goes against my intuition.....
Very interesting Bill . . . that article could use it's own thread and follow up discussion . . . :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
As I get closer to buying time I'll have to keep comparing.

Its hard to compare without seeing them on a black 4dr.

MB72's look pretty good overall, will I need to get new bump stops?
Not MB72's, but DuraTracs on a black 4-door:

View attachment 87213

For the tailgate? Yes. Here's a pic of my tailgate now with the stock bumpstops:

As you can see, the stock bumpstops plainly no longer reach the tire. The MB72s have slightly less backspacing, so the tire will be even further away. That said, the set up is so lightweight that I'd guess there's not a lot of risk to the tire carrier while onroad. To go offroad though, I'd want it properly bumpstopped.
Pic of the Daystar bumpstops. Basically, you mount the tire, measure distance btw tire and tailgate, and cut the Daystar's to fit. My spare is snugged down to the point that, even when I nail a pothole, I don't hear a sound from the spare.

View attachment 87212

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

hmmm. How much more weight is the slightly wider?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not MB72's, but DuraTracs on a black 4-door:

View attachment 87213

Pic of the Daystar bumpstops. Basically, you mount the tire, measure distance btw tire and tailgate, and cut the Daystar's to fit. My spare is snugged down to the point that, even when I nail a pothole, I don't hear a sound from the spare.

View attachment 87212

Awesome info,

Love you jeep on a side note.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I actually asked this question based on the thread you linked me to before, based on a different wheels though

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
hmmm. How much more weight is the slightly wider?
The 33x12.5x15 Duratracs are also 49 lbs. It's the ProComp wheels that are lighter (16 lbs.) They also cost more than MB72s.

10.5s should give better MPG than 12.5s due to less rolling resistance, also.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The 33x12.5x15 Duratracs are also 49 lbs. It's the ProComp wheels that are lighter (16 lbs.) They also cost more than MB72s.

10.5s should give better MPG than 12.5s due to less rolling resistance, also.
wont really help, the rotation of the tire is still the same..the width of the tire has nothing to do with the rolling resistance

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
wont really help, the rotation of the tire is still the same..the width of the tire has nothing to do with the rolling resistance
Actually, it does. A tire's specific contact patch directly correlates to rolling resistance. Try driving at speed with an underinflated tire. Mileage and the effort required to push such tires will fall and increase greatly, respectively.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Actually, it does. A tire's specific contact patch directly correlates to rolling resistance. Try driving at speed with an underinflated tire. Mileage and the effort required to push such tires will fall and increase greatly, respectively.
:appl:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
true but the mpg between a 33x10.50 and 33x12.50 is going to be very very small if noticeable at all...

·
Registered
298 Posts

The Daystar tailgate bump stops are on backorder with every vendor. It's going to be a few weeks so when I installed my MB72/Dtac combo, I used rubber garage door bottom seal that you can get at Home Depot. I just rolled it up and stuffed it back there as tight as I could. Pic below:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts