Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any issues with Omix or Crown? Or should I try for OEM? I would be concerned buying used OEM, as there is no way to know how fatigued they may be.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Personal opinion is a set of lightly fatigued OE's are still stronger than chinas finest. There has got to be plenty around from a nice unmolested YJ you can pick up cheap on ebay or somewhere..

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'd go w used oem too if you can find some

That said the omix or crown would be just fine too....

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I would just get heavy duty 4" shackles but keep in mind the poly bushings for original shackles and aftermarket shackles are different.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious, why would the bushings be different? If we are just talking about two pieces of metal on either side of the spring. Obviously, I'm missing something.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are 1" lift shackles. I have a RE 2.5" lift kit arriving tomorrow. When I change my springs, I want to return to stock shackles.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Front and rear both on pinion angle and loss of ground clearance but front more so bc steering...

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Good stuff, not always the prettiest, but never skimp on material. IMHO

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ruffstuff is good stuff. Pun intended. I’d would go for them over used or new Chinese reproductions.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Curious, why would the bushings be different? If we are just talking about two pieces of metal on either side of the spring. Obviously, I'm missing something.

Energy Suspension bushings are different the part number for stock shackles is Part Number: 2.2107 and bushing for aftermarket shackles is Part Number: 2.2119 https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products/jeep_wrangler_yj_1994

I had bushing fitment issues with my old shackles and wondered if my bushings were the problem. I first ordered aftermarket bushings and there was still slop so i returned them and bought bushings for stock shackles. Turns out the stock shackle bushings are chamfered to fit the uneven factory shackles since they are not a flat piece of steel like aftermarket shackles are. I think the steel liners are also a tad longer but it's been a while and i dont remember. But it's something to keep in mind so you dont buy the wrong set.

·
Super Moderator
10,305 Posts
The shackles Jarhead Al show are priced individually ($36.00 for 4) plus 4 grade 8 bolts, nuts and 8 grade 8 washers.

I used a set of front tow shackles when I replace my springs. I left my stock rear shackles. Naturally, all new stock style rubber bushings all around.

Tow shackles were around a hundred bucks when I bought them. Made in USA.
They're probably a bit more now.
No problems at all with my only moderate use. I wouldn't expect any problems even with severe use.
As a side note, they match up perfectly with the tow bar that I already owned when I bought them.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Using grease w rubber bushings is a no no...
They are designed to twist, not slide and grease and rubber don't generally play well together...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts