Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I edited my above response about bushings.

While some manufacturers May indeed cell different bushings for stock or aftermarket shackles I have found over time that it is absolutely not an issue to either have slightly loose or slightly tight fitting shackles against your bushings....

if you're buying new bushings it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get them to match your shackles but if you already have good bushings don't discard them to buy different ones.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
@Luckymac I love that warn front bumper! Only bumper I'd consider upgrading to. And back on the topic of shackles @agalloch07 is 100% correct there is a difference in the bushings based on shackles
Agree with Randy...

I'd like to see some more complete pics of that front bumper with winch and light mountings if you ever have a few spare minutes.

After my fender Boo-Boo Im rethinking my front protection even though I kinda liked the stock flat channel without the corners, Might have saved the fender, don't know how many more are out there to get my hands on...LOL

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for all the info. The parts were delivered today and the bushings are poly and smooth. I think the ruff stuff shackles (or similar) will work fine.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You'll like em... barnes has good stuff... I have one of their skid plates.... it's ludicrous rated

·
Super Moderator
10,264 Posts
I'd like to see some more complete pics of that front bumper with winch and light mountings if you ever have a few spare minutes.
As requested.
Pics 1&2 are pretty obvious.
Pic 3 shows the HF winch mount plate. I bought it one day when I was at my local HF store and it was on sale. The website states it's "universal mount". I had to rat tail out the rear holes so I could bolt it to the frame. The HF winch fits properly to the mount plate, but the Warn bumper extends under the mount plate and the bolts that hold the winch to the plate install from the bottom. I had to drill the top of the bumper to accommodate the winch to winch plate bolt heads.
Pic 4 shows the inexpensive driving lights I bought from Northern Tool when they were on sale. I had to shim the rear of the winch mount plate so that it would sit level. Yellow bolts are grade 8. Both the driving lights and the winch use the second battery for power. The batteries are separated electrically with a 70 amp Battery Doctor battery isolater. The second battery can be run flat with the vehicle not running and the first battery will still start the vehicle.
Pic 5 is a "look at me" shot.

I bought the front bumper used for something like $150.00 and had it powdercoated.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The Barnes shackles came in today. Man! They are heavy duty. You could beat somebody to death with one. LOL. I will probably spray paint them black. Is the tractor paint at Tractor Supply any more durable than regular spray paint?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The Barnes shackles came in today. Man! They are heavy duty. You could beat somebody to death with one. LOL. I will probably spray paint them black. Is the tractor paint at Tractor Supply any more durable than regular spray paint?
Not to hijack Al's thread, but thanks for the pics, what I was looking for. from pic 4 that looks to be made a bit beefier than my chromed channel bumper.

As for, Shackles, I inherited these from the PO, pricey but rock solid, can't help but believe they are what makes my front end so solid sporting around town.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I would use etching primer and some Eastwood chassis paint.

Another good paint is barbecue paint, I used etching primer and that on some new Dana diff covers 5 years ago and they still look new.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Best spray paint hands down imho is vht single step epoxy.... no primer needed for clean metal ... wipe down w solvent, dry, and spray

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts