Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2006 tj Unlimited jeep radio and would like to upgrade the sound but not the head unit. The stereo is the 6 disc changer with Sirius, 2 speakers in the sound bar, two in dash; and a sub in the center console. .... Sat Radio is all I listen to. I don't care to hook up an iPhone or connect via Bluetooth. I also don't want a shiny new stereo to tempt any thieves. But I would like to upgrade the sound a little. I have searched the forum and seen lots of upgrade advice, but most of that involves getting a new stereo along with speakers. What are the best 6" speakers for the sound bar and The best 4x 6 for the dash with the basic system? I've seen the polk db652 and db651 recommended by quite a few people but not sure which is the best for my stock system. I'm also looking to upgrade the sub; maybe get a powered sub that fits in the same place. Or I would also add a small amp if it's a simple addition.. Thanks

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
I am no fan of the cd changer head units
On speakers Polk is fine
Sirius audio quality is insufficient to warrant much of an upgrade

The best sounding oval face stock unit is the newer RBP it is single CD and cassette
It was the high end head unit used in the Pacifica top end and intermezzo system with the 385 watt 5 channel plus 2 subs pci controlled 5.1 surround amp

The REV head unit with DVD is also nice

Otherwise for your head unit you need amp or amps with speaker level input

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.. I'm resisting changing the head unit, but might do it once I get my new speakers installed. I may look for some sort of newer stock system like digger84 suggests. Today I ordered Polk db651 for the soundbar and db521 with bracket for the dash. I bought a cheap Pyle 6" dual coil subwoofer since the stock wont have much juice to push it.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The sound bar can fit 6.25". If you buy brackets the dash can fit 5.25. just look up tj speaker brackets.

Stuff the sound bar with poly fill that you can get at a craft store.

You'll run into power issues with a high powered sub with the factory head unit, just do the math to figure out the draw of the new speakers/sub.

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
By 2004 they had switched from the sound bar like in my 98 to sound pods like in wife's Rubi

·
Registered
31 Posts
#1 thing you need to do for an upgrade is enclose the front speakers. There are a few different manufacturers out there, but until you get the front speakers in an enclosure, any speaker will sound bad up front (it has to do with interaction of the front and rear sound wave from the speaker causing frequency cancellation).
Like it or not, ditch the head unit. The frequency response is narrow and power weak. Even with an outboard amp, it will still be subpar compared to an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
#1 thing you need to do for an upgrade is enclose the front speakers. There are a few different manufacturers out there, but until you get the front speakers in an enclosure, any speaker will sound bad up front (it has to do with interaction of the front and rear sound wave from the speaker causing frequency cancellation).
Like it or not, ditch the head unit. The frequency response is narrow and power weak. Even with an outboard amp, it will still be subpar compared to an aftermarket unit.
When you say enclose, do you mean to block the speaker off behind it? I've got some sound deadening mat I was going to use in my other car. I plan to put it on the top of then soundbar pods with some pillow stuffing. I can probably put some behind the dash speaker, too. Im sure I willmchange out the head unit at some point. I just want one that looks like a pos factory stereo. My main fear is someone seeing a new stereo and slashing the top or windows to get in. I leave nothing in the jeep and the doors unlocked. But I've had two friends in the past that also left their convertibles unlocked. Some a-holes still slashed through the windows or roof to get in, even though nothing was in the car and doors were unlocked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you aren't planning to replace the factory HU and/or add an amplifier, then I'd say it won't really matter much what speakers you upgrade to, you won't be able to tell much of a difference. If you get some really nice Polks or Kickers, etc. and plug them into the factory unit, you're not going to even come close to hearing the quality of sound those speakers are really capable of. I can understand the fear of someone slashing open the top to get at your gear, but most aftermarket head units have detachable faceplates, and it's possible to stash an amplifier under the steering wheel where it can't be seen (or get wet).

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
sadly, this is true. OEM decks only have 5w-7w output per channel. an aftermarket deck, while still not the ideal setup without an external amp, gets the power up to ~22w per channel. aftermaket speakers will sound better, but some may even produce less volume depending on response frequency and what wattage they were designed for

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the insight. I installed the new sub speaker in the console today and the the db651's in the soundbar. I couldn't do the dash speakers because the brackets fell out of their mail envelope somewhere in transit. But these speakers are a drastic improvement over the 11 year old paper speakers. With the previous speakers, I had to turn the bass and treble down to -3 or -4 to listen. I get that these new speakers aren't making use of their full range, but it's good enough for me for now and Especially when I can put my db521's in the dash. I might try an amp if I figure out how to do it. And if I ever do want to improve the head unit, at least I have speakers that are capable of handing more power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually had a similar question but for my 2015 JKU- my stock speakers are weak, but from what I've read I can't upgrade to alpine- what are good aftermarket speakers that would work?

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
Jk is can bus so any stock amp requires a stock can bus radio

Speakers just match ohms and size

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on my speaker install..like I said before, there was a great improvemt with new Polk 6.5 in sound bar and new Pyle sub speaker in the center console. But I didn't expect to find little Mopar Infinity pods with 4 inch speaker and a separate tweeter in the dash. Everything I read had said they would be crappy little paper speakers. I put the new 5.25 in one side and left the Infinity pod in the other side. I really couldn't tell much difference. I guess the enclosed pods on the original speakers really do help the sound. . I'm not spending another $80 to buy plastic enclosures for the new speakers, but I will line behind them with some sound deadening mats I have,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts