Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sub in the center console is blown and I'm thinking about removing it depending on the difficulty of the job. Has anyone done it before? What all do I need to do?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have done it twice. My jeep didn't come with a stock subwoofer. I bought the insert from a guy on here and installed it into my center Console. I first put a pyramid 6.5" that was $17 in there and it sounded fine but blew after a few months. I swapped it out for a kicker 6.5 for $55 and love it. Much cleaner and louder and has held up much better. Very easy change, its like 2 hex bolts, one reg bolt, and a few screws. Takes probably 5 min to get the center console out and take the stock speaker out too. With the kicker and most aftermarket speakers you will need to snap or cut off some little plastic fins inside that held the stock sub, but thats easy and I did it with some pliers. Know that I use an external amp that puts out much more power than stock. If u just want something to replace your broken one, you can use the stock amp no problem, if you are looking for more powerful bass, you will probably want a new amp. I would suggest replacing it first, and if you aren't happy you can move to a new amp. I can explain how to remove everything if you need any help :wavey:

·
Registered
296 Posts
If I remember correctly there's a few bolts under the rubber sheathing in the cupholders, I think you pop those out, and maybe some in the back as well..then there should be brackets mounting the center console itself onto the body..don't quote me. Should be relatively simple and straightforward though!

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you're short on cash and just want to have the subwoofer back in working order, it can be refoamed for about $20. I refoamed mine and it sounds good as new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts