Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you get your 33 inch tire to fit the stock carrier? And how long have you had it on there? Any problems?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bad idea it will bend the tail gate. U have to get an extender to make it work but it will be messed up in a year and u will be buying a new tail gate. Just buy a tire carrier that can support that tire.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
As long as you keep the tire tight up against the bump stops, you won't damage the tailgate. I've got a 33 on mine, and brought the bump stops out so that they keep the tire from moving around. Been that way for over a year now with absolutely no issues.

No rattles, no flopping around.

BTW, the tire is sitting on a 15x10 soft eight.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Patrick H said:
Been there for a year? Add an aftermarket/ steel wheel with less backspace and it'll really suffer.
Well no. But it was there bouncing around in Colorado.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I've had my 33x12.5 on it for 5 years. No issues. The rubber bumpers on the rear are extended out to stay tight on the tire.. My neighbor has renforced his stock carrier and has had his 37 on the tail gate for the 4 years he has owned it and it was there when he got it.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
33x12.5 for 3 mos, no issues. Extend the rubber snubbers and and make sure the tire is snug. Mine even sits on my hitch extension for added protection.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So as long as the tires tightly held against the rubber bumpers then it should be fine right? What does the extender look like?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Space them out or cut down as required (depends on the tire and rim backspacing) You can use lots of things to move them out; wood, pvc pipe, additional cut stock bumpers etc. Mine wound up about 1" further out. Hockey pucks worked perfect behind the stock bumpers. You just need to get longer bolts. They are metric. Pep boys had longer allen head bolts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did you actually get the tire to fit? The bottom of My tire hits the bumper.. It looks like the carrier needs to be raised about 2 inches

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
I've got a body lift on mine, the tire sits about an inch above the bumper. The tire being worn down some probably helps too.

I used a couple 3/4" nuts for spacers, with washers on either side to spread the load out some. Longer bolts from Home Depot (grade 5 IIRC) rounded it out. Total extension is about 1.5"

The key is to keep the tire still.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
How did you actually get the tire to fit? The bottom of My tire hits the bumper.. It looks like the carrier needs to be raised about 2 inches
That's the other issue. Aftermaket and or body lift may be needed. I have both

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
My personal opinion is without providing additional support for the tire underneath by welding on a support of some type that eventually, the OE carrier will fail. It simply wasn't designed for that much weight... even if taller rubber tire snubbers are added to keep the spare tire from wiggling/moving around.

My OE spare tire carrier cracked & failed 5-6 months after it started carrying a 33x12.50 spare tire. And it had zero time without the rubber tire snubbers having been extended so the bigger spare couldn't "wiggle". The same day I installed the 33x12.50, I installed taller rubber snubbers on top of the OE snubbers and the spare was firmly pulled into them.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
feeling is without providing additional support for the tire underneath by welding on a support of some type that eventually, the OE carrier will fail. It simply wasn't designed for that much weight... even if taller rubber tire snubbers are add.
Maybe your 97 was weaker. How is that myself and others have been carring them for years?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
How is that myself and others have been carring them for years?
I can only suggest that it probably has to do with the widely varying difference in weights you can have with various tire & wheel combinations, and how rough/bumpy the road/trail conditions are that the OE spare tire bracket is subjected to. Some tire & wheel combinations are simply substantially heavier or lighter than others.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
That, and differences in the panels the tail gates are built from on a day to day basis. In my case, I've got a well used BFG AT on a 15x10 steel D-window rim. I'm also using thick, wide washers to spread the load on the bump stops.

A tire carrier upgrade is on the "to do" list, just like a lot of other things...:nonono:

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I can only suggest that it probably has to do with the widely varying difference in weights you can have with various tire & wheel combinations, and how rough/bumpy the road/trail conditions are that the OE spare tire bracket is subjected to. Some tire & wheel combinations are simply substantially heavier or lighter than others.
So what did you have? I have AR Baja 15x10 w/ BF Goodrich A/T. If yours broke after 5-6 months, it must have been weaker to start with. 5 years of daily driving (approx 70k since I have had it), no matter what the driving condition has put far more stress regardless of the wheel/rim weight you had for 5-6 months. Yes mine has been on some trails but road speed NE potholes create more stress/shock that a slow speed trail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts