Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Wrangler JK lifted rockcrawlers and 33s.
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flat Saturday morning (screw) and I used the stock jack to lift the jeep. It couldn’t get the wheel off the ground. Back right tire.

I drove to a tire shop (1/3 mile) and they plugged the hole.

What jacks are you guys using on lifted Jeeps? Any tips on getting the full size spare on yourself? Without having to ask a passerby to help.

Another option is to have a plug kit and an onboard compressor.

12 Jk
Rockcrawler lift
33” mud tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Carry a 12" long piece of 4x4 with you.
Put it under the jack as an extension, and jack the vehicle from under the differential housing, or, AEV makes a pricey spacer, that fits in your back storage well.

I just throw the flat in the back till I get home

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
A standard scissor jace should be sufficient. It works on the factory 32" just fine. There just isin't enough safe places to hook a HiLift up for the JK's.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Without trying to sound like a jerk, wondering where you were placing the jack. Typically, unless the ground is pretty soft, when lifting by the axle, the OEM jack should be able to lift the wheel clear of the ground. Just remember that if flat, the damaged tire will be shorter than the replacement so take that into account when lifting the Jeep.
While opinions vary on the merits of a Hi-Lift and similar jacks, I’ve used one for more than 20 years without incident. You just need to be aware of the way the jack works and that when extended to the higher reaches, the jack can be less than stable. My bumpers have notches that will accept the runner (The ‘lifty’ part) of the Hi-Lift and provide a more solid contact point.
Some folks use a bottle jack but be sure to have something on which the jack can sit if the ground is soft.
I also carry a plug kit and compressor. On the trail, the opportunity to change a tire may not exist where the damage became evident and you might need to drive out for a bit. More than once, I’ve seen multiple plugs used to enable a tire with a big sidewall tear to hold air long enough to drive to a safer location for the tire change.
If you are able, maybe find a local club and talk with jeepers in your area to see what they are doing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lifted it on the street. Heading to work now will reply to all other questions later. Thx

·
Registered
929 Posts
The jack should be placed under the axle, not the frame. Not only are you placing the jack at a lower point, but you don’t get any suspension droop during the lift. I have 35’s on my Jeep and carry a 2x4 to place under the jack, but you shouldn’t have any issues with 33’s.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Since you have a hitch receiver, always carry an insert with you. (I keep it in the receiver since with the spare on back it's not a shin knocker). You can most likely lift the tire onto the insert, and then squat down to lift the tire the extra few inches. You might also use a white/silver paint pen to mark the end of the bolts on the spare tire mount to more easily see them when lifting the spare on.

When doing my own five tire rotation, lifting the spare is the one part I really hate, not only with the OEM 32" tires on the Chief, but the 31's on the TJ.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Lift the axle not the frame. But, to answer your question I ditched the scissor jack with a TJ screw jack. I still lift from the axle....

Reactions: branimal

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
What they said. Use the jack to lift the axle, just the side of the axle that has the flat tire. The stock jack should be able to lift a 33" tire easily.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've changed a tire on the trail using the stock scissors jack. Were you trying to jack it up by the frame instead of the axle or something?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Call 800-AAA-HELP (800-222-4357) to help with the flat.

Call 844-880-7180 for Planet Fitness Free Trial.

Reactions: branimal

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it. I’ll test lifting from the axle next time.

Love the planet fitness clip.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Stock jack will lift 33's no problem, add a square of 2x6 and it will lift 35's.
I'm guessing you tried to jack up your jeep from the frame instead of the axle.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Got it. I’ll test lifting from the axle next time.
Love the planet fitness clip.

The easiest jack in the world was one that came with the '70 Citroen DS - it was a straight piece of tubing with a hook on one end and a flat plate on the bottom. You would use the car's hydraulic system to raise the car and then hook the device into a slot on the side of the pinch seam. Then "lower" the car, but since that corner was blocked from going down, it raised the wheel off the ground. :jawdrop:

The down side - you had to drive one of the world's worst looking and mechanically sound vehicles.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Stock jack and 37's. The only thing I added was a high lift jack base stabilizer which gives me close to 2" more. Lift the axle, not the frame.

Getting the full size tire on the hub is easy, sit on the ground and lift with your legs. Getting it back on the carrier, now that is a 2 man job with 37's or have a section of 2x4 or 2x6 that helps lever the tire onto the carrier.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts