Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? I bought my jeep wrangler in 2009, and i've only put 25,000 miles on it. The back tires have almost no tread left, and the front tires are also pretty much done keep wearing very unevenly.

Does the dealership have any responsibility in at least making sure I can get a decent 40,000 miles out of my initial tires? I showed it to them not long ago, and they shrugged it off.

The tires I have:
Michelin P225/75R16

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Jeep/Chrysler doesn't warrant your tires. The tire manufacturer MAY. Check your original paperwork, but I doubt it.

From the warranty booklet:

C. Items Covered by Other Warranties
The following are covered by separate warranties
offered by their makers. They are not covered by the
Basic Limited Warranty:
• tires; ....
25K miles on OEM tires doesn't sound bad to me, but I drive on roads that are very hard on tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tires have only been rotated once, but not at the dealership (it was during an oil change). I never got an alignment... the car only has 25k ... :confused:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Time for good tires, usually no warranty on wear parts.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have some Bridgestone Dueler A/T's for really cheap if you want pm me :)
(They were takeoffs from my jeep)

Edit: nevermind just saw your tire size

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
that is about normal wear for factory installed cheapo rubber. My wife's accord's tires were bald at 35,000 miles and she drives easy. I bitched and the tire guy said that is about the max any tires are getting on tires on new cars today. I know I stopped on my way home from buying my new jeep and had new heavier duty tires put on because the stock 225/75-16 goodyears looked like you could poke a hole in them with your finger if wanted to. The tire guy said they called them "whenpops" because it was a matter if they would pop but when.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No alignments in 25,000 miles and only one rotation, they served you well.

Most manufacturers will warrant an alignment on a new vehicle within the first 2500 or so miles, and I'd recommend EVERYONE take advantage of it as they aren't truly aligned at the factory like the computerized systems at a dealer.

I'm taking a guess that they were the Michelin LTX M/S tires. They have no UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) rating, which means they are not rated treadwear. If you want a longer lasting tire, look for something with a higher UTQG number. Or if you want something cheap, search craigslist or the classifieds here for Sahara/Sport/Rubicon take-offs with alloy wheels for a lot less than you'll pay for the tires alone. I might add that the 17" Wrangler SR-A (UTQG=500) and 18" Dueler A/T's (UTQG=400) will last considerably longer, too.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
meatnmilk said:
So, the consensus is that it's "okay" that my stock tires from the dealership only lasted 25k miles???
Yeah it's ok. I had the same tires as you. I was afraid they wouldn't be good enough in the winter so I gave them to a friend before the jeeps first winter. Definitely go bigger on the tires. They will last much longer especially if you rotate them properly. You should do 265/75/16 or 285/75/16. And a lot of people love duratracs too

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The tires have only been rotated once, but not at the dealership (it was during an oil change). I never got an alignment... the car only has 25k ... :confused:
Those tires should be rotated at least every 7,500 miles. If you didn't and your alignment is possibly off then 25,000 is probably all you'll get out of them. Time for new tires. With the BFG stock muds I do a rotation nlt every 6,000 miles. Proper air pressure, alignment and rotation is key to tire longevity. You went way over with those.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Well that's not good at all. I recommend tire rotations at 5K and rotate and balance at 10K. Check tire pressures every two weeks. The tires on your "car" would have lasted longer had you been proactive with the maintance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
chim-chim7 said:
Well that's not good at all. I recommend tire rotations at 5K and rotate and balance at 10K. Check tire pressures every two weeks. The tires on your "car" would have lasted longer had you been proactive with the maintance.
I agree with this. Here is my rule of thumb. Since I change my oil religiously every 3,000 miles, I rotate my tires every other oil change.

Also, I don't buy cheap tires. I usually go for a Michelin 90,000 mile model. I save money in the long run by spending a bit more up front. Doing all of this definitely helps me get good mileage out of my tires.

Ron

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah it's ok. I had the same tires as you. I was afraid they wouldn't be good enough in the winter so I gave them to a friend before the jeeps first winter. Definitely go bigger on the tires. They will last much longer especially if you rotate them properly. You should do 265/75/16 or 285/75/16. And a lot of people love duratracs too
Never heard anything about tire size having any effect on tire life so I'm not too sure on that one.

One other thing to keep in mind though, especially with the relatively few miles you drive per year, is that you probably won't ever realize the quoted tread life on a tire as it would siimply take you too long to reach that number. Tires today are definitely better than those from the past but they are still affected by the sun, chemicals and weather and do deteriorate with time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
that is about normal wear for factory installed cheapo rubber. My wife's accord's tires were bald at 35,000 miles and she drives easy. I bitched and the tire guy said that is about the max any tires are getting on tires on new cars today. I know I stopped on my way home from buying my new jeep and had new heavier duty tires put on because the stock 225/75-16 goodyears looked like you could poke a hole in them with your finger if wanted to. The tire guy said they called them "whenpops" because it was a matter if they would pop but when.

^^^^This^^^^^

My company gave me a brand new 09 Camry for a company vehicle. Get this, in less than 20k the tires were smoked and they wore even. The new set lasted till they dumped the car at 65k.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
When did Jeep ever use Michelin tires as OE parts? And why would the dealership warranty non OE stuff? And why are you only getting 25k out of a brand that every one else gets 80k out of? This thread is a fail.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The stock tires are junk. They are a wear item. I think they are only covered for a year or 12k like the brakes or wipers. 25k is not surprising to me, especially the Goodyears. You might have gotten 40k if you drove your Jeep like a grandpa. (No offroad, no sudden acceleration or braking) Bottom line, they are crap.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I agree with this. Here is my rule of thumb. Since I change my oil religiously every 3,000 miles, I rotate my tires every other oil change.
I actually go one step further: I get the tires rotated every oil change, which varies from 3500 - 5000 miles depending on the car. My local tire dealer gives free rotations for life with every set of tires, so it's free and easier to remember if I do it every oil change.

And, on my Jeep (previous and future), I do a 5 tire rotation. Our other cars all have the donut spares.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts