Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking at a Tj for second vehicle to use for backpacking and camping which we do a lot, eventually want to get into wheeling, the little lady doesn't want to destroy her excursion that has 37's on it and a huge lift lol. Currently looking at both of these
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...earchWidgetType=MY_LISTINGS#listing=180731111

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...earchWidgetType=MY_LISTINGS#listing=177384433

They both drive pretty well. The rubi has the axles, lockers, lift and 33s, so i wouldn't have to regear but aesthetically id have to add a hard top spare tire and carrier and bed liner, Stock tj drives smooth has a hard top, but will need the axles, lift, and tires.

HELP! lol
thanks guys!

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
The rub is a good year but with that many miles have concerns about the overdrive auto also center switches indicate it used to have a hardtop so what happened to it

The 2000 looks OK but that year 4.0 has the Crack prone head design so beware

Sometime in 2001 or 2002 the went to the TUPY version as too many of the 2000 heads were cracking thus getting coolant in oil and killing the engine

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
630 Posts
That sport shipped to Illinois. I'd check for rust. Only 35/30 axles.

The rubi has an accident reported so I wonder what that's about as well. It's from Texas so no rust likely.

Not bad price on either though

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know all too well about that head cracking issue on my 02. I personally would lean towards the Rubi, it's built already and it's only a little bit more than the stocker. A hard top and tire carrier are cheaper than new axles, tires, rims, lift kit, ect.. But it all comes down to what you want, do you want something thats more of a complete project go, for the Rubi. Or do you want to learn and build your own jeep the way you want it, if so the stock jeep is probably better, best of luck.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The stock 4.10 gears will be inadequate if you plan to drive the Rubicon on the freeway. You will need to regear to 4.88 for 33s. The 42rle OD is 0.69 thus tge rig will never be able to maintain speed on the freeway even on level ground without constantly downshifting. Factor about $1,400 in regear costs into the purchase price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys I'm also leaving toward the rubi, but the mileage kinda is worrisome for an automatic, but i have to because the GF needs to be able to drive it to and she refuses using a stick lol.

I drove it and it revved a little high for the gears it has on right now, do you absolutely have to regear like will it destroy the parts if i don't, or is it strictly comfort while driving?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts