Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I am looking into a stubby front bumper with a winch for my 2009 Sahara. I actually like the simple look of a stock bumper trimmed down with the Rough Country end caps. I have seen some pictures of stock bumpers trimmed down with a winch installed, both behind the bumper and on top. I really like the look of the winch behind the bumper. Has anyone done the winch installation on the stock bumper?? Which winches fit behind the bumper and which winches fit on top of the bumper?? Also is the stock bumper going to bas as strong as some of the beefier looking aftermarket ones??

Thanks for any help or suggestions along with pictures if possible.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
No the stock bumper, even a 10A, X or Willy's is not as strong as most aftermarket pieces. Nothing wrong with that, they also weight a lot less.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have a Warn Zeon 10-s Platinum mounted with the Rock Hard 4x4 mounting plate (top mount). I think most, maybe even all, winches will work with the top mount. It has plenty of space and the zeon fits perfect. One thing to think about is that with a winch mounted in the bumper it will be more difficult to spool it evenly/properly. The stock bumper isn't as strong as an aftermarket one, but as far as the winch is concerned it isn't an issue. The winch plate takes all the abuse, and the RockHard plate using the tow hooks for support

·
Supporting Vendor
766 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I am looking into a stubby front bumper with a winch for my 2009 Sahara. I actually like the simple look of a stock bumper trimmed down with the Rough Country end caps. I have seen some pictures of stock bumpers trimmed down with a winch installed, both behind the bumper and on top. I really like the look of the winch behind the bumper. Has anyone done the winch installation on the stock bumper?? Which winches fit behind the bumper and which winches fit on top of the bumper?? Also is the stock bumper going to bas as strong as some of the beefier looking aftermarket ones??

Thanks for any help or suggestions along with pictures if possible.
Take a look at our RH-5010 winch mounting plate. Fits all popular winches including Warn ZEON and even the PowerPlant. Remember with our winch plate you aren't winching from your bumper (we tie to your frame), so plastic or not, you are fine.

Jeep JK Winch Plates and Light Mounts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvHLcLyOCU

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a look at our RH-5010 winch mounting plate. Fits all popular winches including Warn ZEON and even the PowerPlant. Remember with our winch plate you aren't winching from your bumper (we tie to your frame), so plastic or not, you are fine.

Jeep JK Winch Plates and Light Mounts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvHLcLyOCU
Thanks for the info, very helpful and probably going to order the winch plate. Will this winch fit on the plate?

Barricade 9500lb Wrangler Winch J100204 (87-16 Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK) - Free Shipping

·
Supporting Vendor
766 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
I have the Rock Hard plate on stock bumper with Warn VR800 (bumper ends cut off - those end caps get removed by the rocks here anyhow lol). The plate is beefy. My only issue is my hydroassist steering cooler sits behind the winch, which between both of them together, blocks airflow a little so I have to be careful when its 115' running steep uphills.

Do you have a two or four door? A two door doesn't need 9500 lb winch.

Also do you just "mild" Offroad (ie pulling someone out of mud, off a tree stump etc) or harder stuff (we have trails here you can literally need to "hang" by your winch line)? That winch may be OK for mild stuff, but if you ever plan to do the harder stuff - go Warn.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Picture

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts