Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the weight of stock rim n tire? I have some 20" rims I'm goin to put on and I don't want to go over a 35" tire but didn't know about how much more lbs ill be turning. The bigger rims just guessing feel about 18-23 lbs? Also wanting to know the weight difference between 35 and 33" tires

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
225/75/16 ST = 27lbs
16" wheel = 25lbs

255/75/17 SRA = 36lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

255/75/17 BFG KM = 49lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

Don't put a 20" wheel on your jeep for anything shy of a 40" tire.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ESP said:
225/75/16 ST = 27lbs
16" wheel = 25lbs

255/75/17 SRA = 36lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

255/75/17 BFG KM = 49lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

Thanks for info. Why u say no to 20" I don't do any heavy mudduding or crawling. Mostly highway and little offloading. I have a rzr for my playing. Just like the looks of the bigger wheels and mud tires. I'm not a big fan of the huge sidewalls.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The huge sidewalls protect your rims and provide a larger footprint if you air down. Most seem to lean towards the opinion that 20" rims on a Jeep looks ghetto. I personally agree with that. But, it's your Jeep and if you want giant wheels without the tires to match then more power to ya.
Bigger rims, as a general rule, are going to weigh more than smaller ones. Seeing as how ESP gave you the stock wheel weights you could look at whatever wheels you're wanting and see how they compare. Mud tires that size are going to be heavy about 72lbs for 35" BFG's and in the $400-500 each range.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TexMedic said:
The huge sidewalls protect your rims and provide a larger footprint if you air down. Most seem to lean towards the opinion that 20" rims on a Jeep looks ghetto. I personally agree with that. But, it's your Jeep and if you want giant wheels without the tires to match then more power to ya.
Bigger rims, as a general rule, are going to weigh more than smaller ones. Seeing as how ESP gave you the stock wheel weights you could look at whatever wheels you're wanting and see how they compare. Mud tires that size are going to be heavy about 72lbs for 35" BFG's and in the $400-500 each range.
Yes I think if u go bigger than 20 it looks ghetto but 20 is just right for me. As stated b4 it's just. DD and not much offroading. It's too new to go scrap and dent it up right now lol got 5k miles. :) I can tear up my rzr cuz I can just haul it back on trailer if it breaks the jeep is a wrecker trip back. Yeah I'm looking at about 63lb stock wheels n tires vs 110lb 35's n 20's the 20's I have are 2 1/2 lbs heavier than stock 17's so it's not that bad. Just the toyo's are way heavy.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Yes I think if u go bigger than 20 it looks ghetto but 20 is just right for me. As stated b4 it's just. DD and not much offroading. It's too new to go scrap and dent it up right now lol got 5k miles. :) I can tear up my rzr cuz I can just haul it back on trailer if it breaks the jeep is a wrecker trip back. Yeah I'm looking at about 63lb stock wheels n tires vs 110lb 35's n 20's the 20's I have are 2 1/2 lbs heavier than stock 17's so it's not that bad. Just the toyo's are way heavy.

How about an A/T tire? I have 33" michelin's on mine. 275/60/20. I'm running OEM 20X9 srt8 grand cheorkee rims. 6.5 lbs heavier per corner than the stock rubi 17" wheels with M/T's. So much better on the street, quiet smooth and superior in snow and rain. No rubbing just had to trim 1/4" off front plastic "1.5 section each side" valence.

·
Registered
227 Posts
225/75/16 ST = 27lbs
16" wheel = 25lbs

255/75/17 SRA = 36lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

255/75/17 BFG KM = 49lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

Is the 2013 Rubicon 17" wheel 27lbs as well?

Also, the BFG site says the BFG KM is 46.3lbs, Not trying to argue, just wanting to be sure on weight. only a 2.7lb difference, no big deal I guess.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ESP is right, you really need the sidewalks for 4 wheeling,
I have 33's and went down from 17 in. To 15 in.
Much better when aired down

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Is the 2013 Rubicon 17" wheel 27lbs as well?

Also, the BFG site says the BFG KM is 46.3lbs, Not trying to argue, just wanting to be sure on weight. only a 2.7lb difference, no big deal I guess.
Yep. Sometimes the manufacturer and the retail stores have close but not exact numbers to each other. Tirerack.com has the BFG KM at 48lbs so you can figure 1.3lbs +/-.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yep. Sometimes the manufacturer and the retail stores have close but not exact numbers to each other. Tirerack.com has the BFG KM at 48lbs so you can figure 1.3lbs +/-.
Great thanks, sorry for being so pedantic.

So total for the 2013 Rubicon is about 75lbs. So any tire wheel combo that is less than that or not much more should be fine on the stock carrier? Assuming proper bump stops are used of course.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Great thanks, sorry for being so pedantic.

So total for the 2013 Rubicon is about 75lbs. So any tire wheel combo that is less than that or not much more should be fine on the stock carrier? Assuming proper bump stops are used of course.
Yes. Many after market wheels feature 6.0, 4.5, 4.0, or 3.75 inches of backspacing pushing the tires out away from the stock bumpstops. Extended bumpstops are still not a guarantee that you will not damage your rear door hinges but for $15 they provide a bit more protection from the larger tire moving or bouncing when you go over bumps. The real solution to a heavier aftermarket tire/wheel combo is of course a proper rear carrier or support carrier.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes. Many after market wheels feature 6.0, 4.5, 4.0, or 3.75 inches of backspacing pushing the tires out away from the stock bumpstops. Extended bumpstops are still not a guarantee that you will not damage your rear door hinges but for $15 they provide a bit more protection from the larger tire moving or bouncing when you go over bumps. The real solution to a heavier aftermarket tire/wheel combo is of course a proper rear carrier or support carrier.
Yeah, just not sure I can afford everything at once, common problem I guess. What carrier do you use? I am looking at a combo similar to yours, Duratracs on MB 72's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts