Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
When my 2017 got stolen (pretty sure it was victim to the vin # Mexico ring):
I lived in a great neighborhood
Locked my doors, with alarm
Had a GPS tracker with text alerts

Sometimes you try and it doesn't work... The only thing that helps me sleep better is a kill switch (electrical deterrent) and a hood lock(s) (visual and mechanical; the Mexico ring involved getting under the hood to complete their theft). I have other devices as well, but these are the winners in my book. And, yes, good insurance.

A fun one I've heard previously on the forum was leaving an empty holster on the front seat... I personally joke about a bear trap, but apparently its illegal to boobytrap your vehicle. But, I digress.

Clubs can be cut off the steering wheel in -1 seconds (rather, the steering wheel cut and the club pulled off), although they and others similar products look complicated and can add a visual deterrent to lesser thieves.

Comprehensively, there are a few ways you can go; it depends on what you're worried about, and some are more technology-based than others. You can get a full deterrent system with GPS, tilt and proximity sensors, glass break, mobile activated kill switch etc. from viper or others, or get some of them piecemeal. Or go with just a classic hard-wired hidden kill (starter or fuel), or there's a key system that interrupts all electronics unless a key is inserted (Ravelco).

Do you notice that the theme here is get some form of a kill switch? ;)

That and being consistent with setting your system in place every time.

There's been a story circulating about a group using VIN's to have keys made, steeling thousands of Jeeps. Search the forum or Facebook. That's why some people including myself have put black electrical tape over the VIN on the dash. I got the Ravelco installed when I started to think about all the time and effort I've put into modifications. Even if insurance covers cost, a lot of work I don't want to repeat if avoidable.
I basically saw that happen to my TJ on Friday, except I was standing there watching the locksmith make a spare key. He first cut the key, then called a number to get the pin number based on my VIN. Then he went outside to the Jeep with his programmer, plugged it into the OBDII port and 12V socket and started entering information. It took him two tries, but it was successful.

I'm sure the thieves don't have the programmer the locksmith had, but most likely an application that duplicates it.

Years ago there was an anti-theft device that allowed the thief to start the vehicle and drive it about 20 feed before it would die and not restart. The logic was if the thief damages the vehicle but cannot start it or move it, it is considered vandalism and may not be covered by insurance. If they can move it a short distance, then it is considered theft and any damage incurred during theft is covered.

Had a young friend (used to be a Scout in a Troop I worked with) who had his graduation present (2007 JK X) stolen out of the family garage. His mom had gone to the store and left the garage door open. He had the very bad habit of leaving the keys in the Jeep when in the garage. Mom came back about an hour later and the Jeep was gone, but thought son had gone somewhere until he walked into the kitchen. They ignored dad's Inca Gold 2003 Rubicon sitting right next to the JK, also with the keys in it, but that door was down. (Me I would have gone for that rare Rubi).

It took about six months before the vehicle was tracked down and recovered in San Antonio, without the back seat, back carped stained with oil and front seats messed up. Because he didn't want any issues, they had the local Sheriff's dept. go over the vehicle and had their drug dog inspect it as well. It took about three months to restore the Jeep to it's pre-theft condition. Youngster (and dad) learned a good lesson. He is still driving that Jeep last I heard (he has now moved out of the area to a better job).

Are you covering the vin to stop anyone from going to the dealer to get a key? What does the dealer require to sell you a key, I'm sure they don't all follow the same rule.
Yeah I put Black Electrical tape over the vin# . Legal in S.C. or not I dont care I do it. If I get a ticket for it its ok. Im the owner. Got all my documents in order. But yes I cover the vin# .

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I basically saw that happen to my TJ on Friday, except I was standing there watching the locksmith make a spare key. He first cut the key, then called a number to get the pin number based on my VIN. Then he went outside to the Jeep with his programmer, plugged it into the OBDII port and 12V socket and started entering information. It took him two tries, but it was successful.

I'm sure the thieves don't have the programmer the locksmith had, but most likely an application that duplicates it.

Years ago there was an anti-theft device that allowed the thief to start the vehicle and drive it about 20 feed before it would die and not restart. The logic was if the thief damages the vehicle but cannot start it or move it, it is considered vandalism and may not be covered by insurance. If they can move it a short distance, then it is considered theft and any damage incurred during theft is covered.

Had a young friend (used to be a Scout in a Troop I worked with) who had his graduation present (2007 JK X) stolen out of the family garage. His mom had gone to the store and left the garage door open. He had the very bad habit of leaving the keys in the Jeep when in the garage. Mom came back about an hour later and the Jeep was gone, but thought son had gone somewhere until he walked into the kitchen. They ignored dad's Inca Gold 2003 Rubicon sitting right next to the JK, also with the keys in it, but that door was down. (Me I would have gone for that rare Rubi).

It took about six months before the vehicle was tracked down and recovered in San Antonio, without the back seat, back carped stained with oil and front seats messed up. Because he didn't want any issues, they had the local Sheriff's dept. go over the vehicle and had their drug dog inspect it as well. It took about three months to restore the Jeep to it's pre-theft condition. Youngster (and dad) learned a good lesson. He is still driving that Jeep last I heard (he has now moved out of the area to a better job).
The "years ago" is what I need. I want to use my remote start and that would work. Not around anymore?

When I purchased my 2016 JKU the dealer talked me into getting the Alarm for the Jeep, I use it when I go to the shopping center or when I park downtown, It is called KARR and came with a key fob that you push the button and it makes a couple of beeps, then you push the other button to disarm it. I opened the rear tail gate to put groceries in and forgot to disarm it and the alarm went off, I dont know what else it does. Anybody know what this KARR does? I have manual door locks and just a normal key.

Actually the Mexican ring everyone talks about had much better equipment than your locksmith and you can too. About 90% of the programmers on the market today will pull the PIN from these vehicles and program the key in about a minute. Programmers can range from $300-$12,000 and can be purchased by anyone that has the money from many sources including China.

My favorites are the push button ignition Chrysler/Dodge/Jeeps. I can plug in and program a key in about 30 seconds and crank up the car. Technology is a beautiful thing.

Also there are many vehicles stolen each year by simply hooking up with a snatch truck or pulling it onto a rollback and driving off.

Make sure your insurance is paid up and you have proper coverage for your vehicle.

Are you covering the vin to stop anyone from going to the dealer to get a key? What does the dealer require to sell you a key, I'm sure they don't all follow the same rule.
The dealer can cut the key, but they cannot program the key WITHOUT THE VEHICLE. The programming is not in the key, it is in the vehicle, which is why the programmer is plugged into the OBDII port.

If you have a key cut, there is a procedure to program the new key into the system, but you have to have two functional keys to do the procedure and it doesn't always work.

Also there are many vehicles stolen each year by simply hooking up with a snatch truck or pulling it onto a rollback and driving off.
That was a stunt they were pulling in Houston over 20 years ago when my late sister still lived there. They would prowl the area looking for a car they wanted or follow it home. Then days later they would pull up in the middle of the day with a roll back and back up to the garage door and pull it off with the truck. Then they would hook up to the car and pull it up on the roll back and drive away.

Which goes back to if they want it bad enough, they will find a way to get it. All of the alarms, kill switches and devices do is make your vehicle harder to steal than the identical one in the next block, so they take it instead of yours.

Yes covering vin so someone cannot get a key made. Not sure what else I can do. I am looking at the Viper security alarm system.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #36 ·
That was a stunt they were pulling in Houston over 20 years ago when my late sister still lived there. They would prowl the area looking for a car they wanted or follow it home. Then days later they would pull up in the middle of the day with a roll back and back up to the garage door and pull it off with the truck. Then they would hook up to the car and pull it up on the roll back and drive away.

Which goes back to if they want it bad enough, they will find a way to get it. All of the alarms, kill switches and devices do is make your vehicle harder to steal than the identical one in the next block, so they take it instead of yours.
That's the key, make yours more difficult than the next one. Like the roll back it only takes two to four guys with a pic-up and two pieces of pipe to steal a motorcycle. I ride a Harley trike so that would be a little more difficult than a bike. As said you can't stop all of them.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.