Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im thinking of picking up some gears/axleshafts and 35s but i want to make sure i can make this happen

question #1 i have a stock 93 wrangler with the 4.0 straight 6. im assuming i have 3.07 gearing? not sure how i would know..anyways i want to run 35s and i was told 4.56 gears would be ideal, can i go that high with my current setup? meaning will the carrier accept these gears?

question #2 if i upgrade my axles to 30 spline i need a locker-is this correct.

question #3 who wants to give me $1000

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this might help with the gearing question.
question #3-ask santa

Jeep Wrangler Gear Ratio Guide
lol yea santas got a lot of giving to do. and thanks but that chart doesnt help per say. my question is, can i put 4.56 gears into my carrier? or do i need a locker or have to upgrade it..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is why i said i was upgrading to 30 spline axleshafts lol.. which are 40% stronger than stock axles-which are found in dana 44 axles. anyways the real question is do i need to run a locker if i upgrade to 30 spline

·
Registered
513 Posts
You will snap an axle if you run a 35s on a D35 rear. If it's locked, it's 100% guaranteed you'll snap it.
alright now your scarring me i just bought my yj with a dana 35 and 35's and 4.56 gears :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think you need to do some more research. Most will agree throwing any money at the D35 is a huge waste. Im guessing your looking at the super 35 kit? you could build an actual D44 for that price. Plus it doesnt fix all the problems, like the weak housing and axle tubes. Seriously a ford 8.8 out of explorer is the way most people go, 97 (I think) and newer and you even get disc breaks.

Now the locker issue has nothing to do with regearing unless you want one. for 4.10 and lower (numerically) takes one housing, 4.56 and up take a different one. So if you go to 4.56 gears, yes you will need a new housing, which can be a locker as in a detroit or ARB. Or you can get a 4.56 open housing and throwe in a lunch box loxker that fits inside the housing. Is that clear as mud yet?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you need to do some more research. Most will agree throwing any money at the D35 is a huge waste. Im guessing your looking at the super 35 kit? you could build an actual D44 for that price. Plus it doesnt fix all the problems, like the weak housing and axle tubes. Seriously a ford 8.8 out of explorer is the way most people go, 97 (I think) and newer and you even get disc breaks.

Now the locker issue has nothing to do with regearing unless you want one. for 4.10 and lower (numerically) takes one housing, 4.56 and up take a different one. So if you go to 4.56 gears, yes you will need a new housing, which can be a locker as in a detroit or ARB. Or you can get a 4.56 open housing and throwe in a lunch box loxker that fits inside the housing. Is that clear as mud yet?
yes thank you this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts