Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 JKU:
I currently have 2 military backpacks strapped to the backs of my rear seat Bartact seat covers. I carry winter emergency clothing in one and extra clothes in the other. I am looking for an alternative as I would like to be able to put rear seat down w/o having to remove and reinstall bags every time as they are a pain to weave thru the Molle straps.
I have my hardtop on now but use soft top (Bestop NX) in spring/ summer/ fall with windows out most of summer.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep the ideas coming. None work for me yet, but all good.
I looked at those that are triangular and attach to sport bar but I’m not keen on them in bikini mode which is most of summer. I also have the Smitty tailgate Molle panel but have replaced their small bag with a few smaller ones from the military surplus store as their bag sagged too much when filled with tools. The larger bag holds my wet weather gear and a few other items.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the triangle bags and they are just meh, get in the line of sight and too narrow to hold much of use. Also have the molle tailgate panel and it's pretty decent. Use the Plano weatherproof boxes in various sizes for seasonal stuff (summer box, winter box etc)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That NX top sacrifices a lot of storage space.

I run Rigid boxes from home depot that latch together. Put them in and out based on my planned trips. One is for food stuffs and one is for winter tools. Also have a recovery soft bag that moves around the Jeep along with an Air Compressor bag. Tools live in soft bag that gets tossed behind the 1st row of seats.

Have you considered the MPS wheel well storage or Fishbone version from Quadratec?
https://www.molle-platform-solutions.com/product-page/basket-style-fender-panel

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Maybe a hitch cargo carrier would work for you?

It's not weather proof but it does allow for easy access and frees up interior space.

I use mine often with a set of quick ratcheting tie-down straps to anchor things down. In fact, I used mine last week to pick up a new full size frig for our house. I set the frig on top of the basket, leaned it back up against my spare and used ratchet straps to secure it up against my spare.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Get a Tuffy security deck. Then you have a large lockable space, even with the top off. Put your tools, etc under there. I have one and love it.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe a hitch cargo carrier would work for you?

It's not weather proof but it does allow for easy access and frees up interior space.

I use mine often with a set of quick ratcheting tie-down straps to anchor things down. In fact, I used mine last week to pick up a new full size frig for our house. I set the frig on top of the basket, leaned it back up against my spare and used ratchet straps to secure it up against my spare.
I have one of those too, but I am looking for ideas for bags I carry year round.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get a Tuffy security deck. Then you have a large lockable space, even with the top off. Put your tools, etc under there. I have one and love it.
Nice idea, but I am only really looking for ideas for moving the current year round bags from the backs of the sets.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Hey Anthony,

What I use may or may not work out for you. I picked up a Pelican box pretty cheap and load almost all of my gear/tools in it. It is strapped down, but easily moved too. Here are some picks of what I carry and how it looks packed up...

These shots are when I first layed it out, now I have straps securing it in place. The only external bag is the river bag that holds cold weather gear to keep it handy and dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I found a Smittybilt storage vault locally and am using that. After putting some weatherstripping on the back side of the drawer face i am 100% happy.

That bitch would rattle and after a bit of looking I found the drawer face was hitting the edge of the slides. I cut the stripping and placed it on the spot and voila no more rattle

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I have his tailgate molle platform/trailgate.

Very quality product and he is a top notch dude.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I looked at those but the stick up passed the tub edge so I would not be able to use the tonneau cover in the summer.
If you have a Tuffy storage unit, why would you use or want to use a tonneau cover? I have a Tuffy unit, and keep it in all year. It's just too convenient to keep things safe.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have a Tuffy storage unit, why would you use or want to use a tonneau cover? I have a Tuffy unit, and keep it in all year. It's just too convenient to keep things safe.
I don't have a Tuffy and I don't think I can use it in the winter w/ the hardtop... can I.

As for the original comment it was in reference to using these:

Have you considered the MPS wheel well storage or Fishbone version from Quadratec?
https://www.molle-platform-solutions...e-fender-panel
The Tuffy would also defeat the original purpose for moving the bags... being able to have the rear seats down when needed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts