Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any cool stories about getting pulled over?

So I'm sitting here at work kind of bored and thinking about running poison spyder 3" fenders front and rear.....I live in northern california where I am sure I will get pulled over for the tires sticking out to far. This is something I plan on doing when my TJ is my second vehicle someday and am not really concerned with it at that point.......but like I said I'm just kind of sitting here at work and thought why not start a discussion.

Anyone get a ticket or anything for their jeep not meeting some law of some type? Anyone get out of a ticket?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
NO story, but my uncle is a retired state trooper from Michigan. Every time I see him, I make him tell me stories. I always tell him he should write a book.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO story, but my uncle is a retired state trooper from Michigan. Every time I see him, I make him tell me stories. I always tell him he should write a book.
Thats pretty cool....I am actually from Michigan and thought about becoming a state trooper. I couldnt do it however because they dont have any jeeps in their fleet hahahaha

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had just gotten my 89 YJ. I was driving home from a class I was teaching at a local Junior College. I got pulled over about 4 miles from the school.... and let go...no explanation at all.

I crossed a river into another county and was promptly pulled over again.......and let go....no explanation.

As I was going through town, it happened again. I was getting a BIT nervous.

Finally on the LAST leg of my trip home a STATE TROOPER pulled me over. I looked out the window and said...."what the HELL is going on here??? This is the FOURTH time I have been pulled over in the last 45 minutes"..... She said......."someone in a red JEEP just robbed a liquor store in the next town over"....I was driving a RED JEEP....

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had just gotten my 89 YJ. I was driving home from a class I was teaching at a local Junior College. I got pulled over about 4 miles from the school.... and let go...no explanation at all. I crossed a river into another county and was promptly pulled over again.......and let go....no explanation. As I was going through town, it happened again. I was getting a BIT nervous. Finally on the LAST leg of my trip home a STATE TROOPER pulled me over. I looked out the window and said...."what the HELL is going on here??? This is the FOURTH time I have been pulled over in the last 45 minutes"..... She said......."someone in a red JEEP just robbed a liquor store in the next town over"....I was driving a RED JEEP....
That is crazy! Awesome story!

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
I had a 70 Nova Pro Street drag car with a 572 big block that I had done a bunch of work to that day. I had a spot where I had a 1/4 mile marked out and every now and then I would run it there. Pretty harmless spot between cranberry bogs with nothing to block your view for a couple miles except one small pump house. Want to guess where the cop was? So when I went by him, as he informed me a short while later, I was going 118 mph. As you can imagine the speed limit on that streach of road was slightly less by roughly 83 mph. So I thought I was done for and immediately pulled to the side of the road, shut the car off and patiently waited knowing there was nothing I could say to talk my way out of this. He slowly pulled up behind me, turned his lights on, strolled up to me and uttered these words. And I quote... "Why the hell did you stop? You damn right know there was no chance I would have caught you." I told him I would be more than happy to go now but he informed me that was no longer possible. He read me the riot act for 20 minutes then had me pop the hood, looked at the 4 link suspension, talked to me about my 2 speed powerglide and then after another cop came by to offer assistence he said it was a misunderstanding and my throttle stuck. He did make me tow it home but to be honest I was happy to not be in jail. He was a cool cop and retired just last year. He has a beautiful 67 Elcamino with a Big Block 572 in it. Guess where he bought the motor... hahaha

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was stopped in my LJ at a traffic light when a Barney Fife wannabe stopped behind me. When the light changed and I pulled through the intersection he lit up and pulled me over and then tried to ticket me for defective equipment because my brake lights had not lit up.

It took me about 20-minutes to explain to him that I had a manual transmission and did not have to stand on the brake pedal to stand still if I were stopped on a level road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i got pulled over last year. cop just wanted to know where i got my led light pods so he could get some for his jeep. he'd been seeing my jeep a lot, but couldn't ever get my attention so he decided the best way was to stop me in his patrol car.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Last October I had a cop follow me into a gas station parking lot. I went in and got a drink and came back out. As I was getting into my Jeep (it was naked), he gets out of his car and goes "Excuse me, sir". I'm sitting there thinking, "well sh**, what'd I do?". He just came up to me and started talking to me about my Jeep.

I guess that's not really getting pulled over.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Got pulled over 85 in a 55 on I-85 inside the perimeter in Atlanta in my 95 Mustang. I was in the far left lane (5 lanes) and had to pull all the way over to the right hand side. Shut down and waited for the cop to come up. As he was approaching the car I realized I couldn't roll down the window without the key in accessory. Reached for the key to put it to accessory, cop yells freeze I look ove my left shoulder to see his gun pointing at my head. I figuratively crap my pants, throw my hands up in the air. Point at the window switch and he nods, I opened the door and explain what I was doing and he allows me to roll down the window. He asks for docs which I give him, he goes back to his car and runs my license (it is clean). He comes back up to the car tells me if he ever sees me going that fast again he is going to ticket me. Gives me my docs and starts walking back to his car. Then he turns around and tells me to fix the exhaust, if he ever hears it again he would impound the vehicle. Couldn't believe I got out of it, I think him scaring the crap out of me helped my cause and the clean record.

BTW: exhaust was legal, Bassani x-pipe with cats into Borla cat-back.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
When I was driving around with the windshield folded down, not 5 mins after I start cruising I have a state trooper turn around and pull up on me in a hurry. Ohio state law requires that you have a functioning windshield. I'm hoping he is going to accept my argument that a function of the windshield is that it folds down. And therefore I'm within the law. My secondary argument was going to be that in Ohio motorcyclists don't need helmets, just eye protection. So I had eye protection, and left and right mirrors. So how am I any worse or less safe than a motorcycle. Well I guess this is my anti pulled over story. After following me for a couple miles and undoubtedly running my plates, he turned around and went back to his spot. I passed many many officers that week. He was the only one that gave me a second look. I even got a thumbs up from one who pulled up next to me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm a cop doing it for 20+ years. Never pulled over any jeep for silly violations. I have stopped few just to small talk about the modifications and admire their jeep. Long as you drive responsibly you are not going to attract any police attention.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had just gotten my 89 YJ. I was driving home from a class I was teaching at a local Junior College. I got pulled over about 4 miles from the school.... and let go...no explanation at all.

I crossed a river into another county and was promptly pulled over again.......and let go....no explanation.

As I was going through town, it happened again. I was getting a BIT nervous.

Finally on the LAST leg of my trip home a STATE TROOPER pulled me over. I looked out the window and said...."what the HELL is going on here??? This is the FOURTH time I have been pulled over in the last 45 minutes"..... She said......."someone in a red JEEP just robbed a liquor store in the next town over"....I was driving a RED JEEP....
:winner: Right on that is a good story!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a cop doing it for 20+ years. Never pulled over any jeep for silly violations. I have stopped few just to small talk about the modifications and admire their jeep. Long as you drive responsibly you are not going to attract any police attention.
I wish all cops felt the same way....I mean, I drive really conservatively, I dont tailgate or cut people off, I am generally patient with ass holes that drive stupid and have never received any tickets.

...I just want to have little to no fenders on my jeep lol

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I'm a very conservative driver, my last speeding ticket was probably 25 years ago when I got pulled over in a group of about a dozen cars all at once coming back from Las Vegas. There was a LONG wait for that ticket, there was just one CHP cop writing us all up. Kind of a jerk really, though I generally like LEOs.

But my story is when I was about 23 trying to make a traffic signal way ahead of me. If you timed it just right and got through that signal after leaving from the first signal as soon as it turned green, the next 10-12 signals were all green. I was a little late from that first signal so I was hauling *** to try to beat that next signal. Maybe 60 in a 45 by the time I got pulled over by a local cop.

I explained the whole signal timing thing to him and he laughed, saying he knew all about it and that he saw others doing the same thing every day. It was about a week before Christmas and he waved me off with a warning saying he just wanted me to be alive for Christmas next week. Very cool cop, I never forgot him even though it's been 45 years since it happened.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am very law abiding, I see law enforcement run stop signs, meaning not coming to a full stop. Got into a situation one time with no place to go. Cruiser behind me, I thought he was pulling me over, so I pulled over when the coast was clear. He pointed at me to stop. I did, he went on, running 4 bells, I sat there for 15 minutes, call 911. Told her what happened. She said stay there, I did, now it's been 30 minutes. Called 911 again. Talked to a different operator, explained what happened, she put me on hold, now it's 45 minutes , comes back on line, told me to go on.lots of confusion out there, I run my jeep 55. About 1500 RPM. All the speed limits are 75 around here. So every body runs 80 and 90. Just call me poky.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was driving into work past the Capital in DC last fall and didn't see a bike crossing the street until the last second so I slammed the brakes so I wouldn't hit her (she was already in the right lane, I was in the left). I wasn't speeding, but was going fast enough to squeal the tires, I didn't hit her, and apologized and smiled, but it got my heart pumping. So I pull down to the next light and while I'm waiting for it to go green, a Capital Police officer rides his bike up to my window and knocks on it. I roll the window down and he asks if everything is ok, I explained I didn't see her, and don't have ABS so I locked up and yada yada. He says well she didn't want to press charges, and I used to have a jeep so I know how it goes; be careful next time, and rides off.

I left thinking 1) score one for jeeps and 2) press charges?! I didn't hit her, what would he have charged me with if she wanted to press charges?!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Got pulled over for my first time while heading out of Houston on my way back to college. I was cruising at 72 mph (about 76 really) in a 65 in the far left lane with zero traffic trying to get out of Houston ASAP before morning traffic picked up. I saw a cop driving two lanes over to the right and thought no biggie, another SUV 10 car lengths ahead of me was doing the same speed if not faster. Sure enough, 30 seconds later after I had passed the cop I get the red and blue flashing lights. Guy probably was one of the rudest human beings I had ever met. He had me alleged at 80 mph which mentally I called BS. He asked if I had seen him when I "flew" past him, I answered honestly yes and said I thought I was going with traffic and might have lost track of my cruise control. He then called me disrespectful for purposely speeding past him and asked for my papers. Did so and again apologized to him mentioning that this was my first time being pulled over ever. He looked up and said well maybe it's time for a lesson since you kids now-a-days want to disrespect cops. Received my citation and left fuming.

I back the blue, but I do not back that man. I don't think I could have been more respectful while talking to the guy, let alone I did nothing to provoke him to talk like such an ass.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts