Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,929 Posts
I don't have one myself, but my buddy use to have his raised up in the garage to the ceiling on a set of ropes and pulleys that he tied off after raising. They have a few different hoists out there for sale, but we made his from the Home Depot Hardware Aisle.

Harbor Freight sells their 2500lb winches an sale for 59 -79 bucks all the time. It would be a handy helper to lift the top. It was a two man job to lift and pull when we did it. but that was back in the 90's. I'm too old for that Sh_t now. LOL

Reactions: Batjac

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I built a u-shaped stand out of 2x4s that held it up at the mounted height. Easy to back up to it and transfer it back and forth with two people. had plenty of room underneath to store stuff so it wasn't too much of a liability on floor space

·
Registered
243 Posts
I live in an apartment, which means no garage and no storage for something that large.
I got a Lange Hoist-a-CART; that is used for removal and storage in my rented UHaul storage bay.
I only run the Hardtop in winter (Trektop NX in the summer), so I'm not taking it on and off every weekend like some.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You want a hoist if you have feasible room in a garage. I have learned the hard way.

I thought I would be able to get it off by myself, no hoist or any mechanical advantage. Foolish. Ended up having to get the wife outside when I was halfway off. I'm 5'10" and she's 5'1". She's decently strong for a shorter girl but we still struggled. Then had to tip it on its side to get through a gate to where it has been sitting on 2x4's since the nice weather came.

I have bought ropes and pulleys from the hardware store for next time, but will be calling some buddies over and offering libations to help get it back on in about a month or two 🤦🏻*♂

As for storage, if you can keep it in your garage up in the rafters you're golden. If you had to find something else, do your best to keep it off the ground 👍🏼

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
I have a homemade lift in my garage. That works for me. I simply back the Jeep under the lift and hook onto my roof mounted basket.

If you plan on storing the top outside, I strongly suggest securing it in some way so that the wind won't get under it and take it into your neighbors yard with the resultant damage to the top.
A couple ratchet straps and 4 cement blocks should keep it in place. Just put something between the top and the cement blocks so that if you get substantial wind, the top won't rub on the blocks.
Also, as murch7 suggests, you probably don't want to set the top directly on the ground. Perhaps a couple lengths of 4X4 under the sides.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a homemade lift in my garage. That works for me. I simply back the Jeep under the lift and hook onto my roof mounted basket.

If you plan on storing the top outside, I strongly suggest securing it in some way so that the wind won't get under it and take it into your neighbors yard with the resultant damage to the top.
A couple ratchet straps and 4 cement blocks should keep it in place. Just put something between the top and the cement blocks so that if you get substantial wind, the top won't rub on the blocks.
Also, as murch7 suggests, you probably don't want to set the top directly on the ground. Perhaps a couple lengths of 4X4 under the sides.

Good Luck, L.M.
Did you hone build your lift? I've been looking into picking up a harbor freight winch and making my own. Just curious to see other people's set-ups.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
I bought 6 single brass pulleys like the kind that you find on a quality patio umbrella, 6 eye bolts and 4 hooks at Home depot. I'm guessing somewhere around $12.00 to $15.00 for the lot.
I bought a very small block & tackle at Murdochs for about $12.00. It has 1/8 or 3/16" poly rope.
I had a hank of 3/16 poly rope that I rigged to make the bulk of the lift and then connected it to the block & tackle.

It takes a bit of an effort to lift the top, but I'm 73 YO and I can do it without getting out of breath. I simply remove the screws on the header plus the 8 bolts on the sides and hook the hooks to my roof basket and lift. I have a stanchion that I tie the rope off to and leave the top suspended.

I haven't taken the top off this year because I like the protection from the sun and occasional thunderstorm. A bikini just doesn't give the same protection.
Yeah, I get a little wet during a good rain, but after hundreds of thousands of miles on a motorcycle I haven't melted yet.

I had the Wicked Witch of the West riding with me one day when we got hit with a furious T-storm. I think she must have jumped out and run away, because I never saw her after that.

Pic 1 is an overview of the contraption. Make sure to screw the eye bolts into the rafters. I promise you, the sheetrock won't hold the top.
Pics 2, 4 & 5 are the block & tackle.
Pic 3 is the stanchion where I tie the whole shebang off.

If I had to do it over again, I might redesign how the ropes run. I can't lower the hard top enough to sit it on a cart. I found that out when I went to paint the top.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

Reactions: Batjac and FridayGt

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought 6 single brass pulleys like the kind that you find on a quality patio umbrella, 6 eye bolts and 4 hooks at Home depot. I'm guessing somewhere around $12.00 to $15.00 for the lot.
I bought a very small block & tackle at Murdochs for about $12.00. It has 1/8 or 3/16" poly rope.
I had a hank of 3/16 poly rope that I rigged to make the bulk of the lift and then connected it to the block & tackle.

It takes a bit of an effort to lift the top, but I'm 73 YO and I can do it without getting out of breath. I simply remove the screws on the header plus the 8 bolts on the sides and hook the hooks to my roof basket and lift. I have a stanchion that I tie the rope off to and leave the top suspended.

I haven't taken the top off this year because I like the protection from the sun and occasional thunderstorm. A bikini just doesn't give the same protection.
Yeah, I get a little wet during a good rain, but after hundreds of thousands of miles on a motorcycle I haven't melted yet.

I had the Wicked Witch of the West riding with me one day when we got hit with a furious T-storm. I think she must have jumped out and run away, because I never saw her after that.

Pic 1 is an overview of the contraption. Make sure to screw the eye bolts into the rafters. I promise you, the sheetrock won't hold the top.
Pics 2, 4 & 5 are the block & tackle.
Pic 3 is the stanchion where I tie the whole shebang off.

If I had to do it over again, I might redesign how the ropes run. I can't lower the hard top enough to sit it on a cart. I found that out when I went to paint the top.

Good Luck, L.M.
That is outstanding! Simple and effective. Mine just hit D1 status for my order on Tuesday, but I'm going to go ahead and order these now. Super easy and cheap and I can always hook a winch up to it later if I like. If I get it installed now, I can go topless as soon as I get it!

Thanks for posting this up, my plans were getting needlessly elaborate and this was a solid reminder to keep it simple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I might go for an engine hoist. It is not expensive, and it can lift the hardtop enough to get it off the jeep. It also has wheels on it, so one can put the hardtop where ever one wants.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Electric hoist 800lb rated and a piece of 1/4 flat stock lag bolted to the rafters...webbing for the straps...if I would adjust the straps it would sit with the back glass closed...I was going to go back and do it one day after I took it off in the spring...lol

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts