Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my journey with my baby, Storm. He's come a long way already and I can't wait to see where we'll end up. (I would say 'how he looks when he's finished' but are Jeep owners ever really finished?):lmao:

---------​

This is stock, how we brought him home. Had VTec Raptor wheels but I'm not a fan of the silver look of the rims. Ironic for a silver wrangler, I know.

So of course we did wheels and tires first. I didn't want to go too big or get a lift just yet because we do a LOT of highway driving. Cooper Mud Claw MT 33s and Ultra Phantom Satin Black 17" rims.

Then as soon as we got the tires on, we took him off road for the first time. ;)

A couple weekends after that it finally warmed up enough to tint the running lights/turn signals/tail lights. I used spray tint (I can go find the can and recommend the brand if anyone is interested). Definitely worth the $7 or whatever it cost me to buy the tint.

And then the angels smiled upon me and the TAX RETURN CAME! I ordered the Barricade Heavy Duty Off Road front bumper, Raxiom 50" LED Light Bar, and Lifetime light bar mounts. All of it came from Extreme Terrain and I'm very very pleased with my shopping experience.

Once we got the big light bar installed we were in awe. It's so ridiculously awesome that I can't do it justice with just words. In fact, the day after we installed the big one we ordered a small one for the bumper. XD We got that wired in nice and easy, and then my Wild Boar grill came in. I was originally going to order one of the cheap ones from eBay but most (if not all) of them are actually drastically different from the Wild Boar design. They're pointy in the center instead of that even aggressive look. I'm very happy with mine, even though painting it was a pain in the rump thanks to the uncooperative weather.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I love it. I have a 2009 Silver JKU and really like what you have done. Coincidently, my jeep is Stormbringer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looking good! I've got a '12 silver JKUR and I recently plasti dipped my door hinges black. I think it adds a more aggressive look to the Jeep for little investment...

I tried that and couldn't get it to look that good and ended up peeling it off. I love the look - if done right. Looking at your picture, you nailed it. Great job.

·
Commercial Member
2,047 Posts
I tried that and couldn't get it to look that good and ended up peeling it off. I love the look - if done right. Looking at your picture, you nailed it. Great job.
I used 1.5 cans of the spray and took about 6 hours to do it all (including trying time). There are about 7 coats on each part. Not to hijack your thread...

This was the only time I've used Plasti Dip before. It's not hard at all, but you have to take your time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Storm the Jeep -> sorry for the sidebar, we're done. Thanks for showing some Silver love.

ETOIMOS:

This is fantastic - thanks for the pictures. I taped my doors closer to hinges, but it looks like you did a square around the door hinges and peeled it off around. Nice!

Also, I was afraid to the hinges off the Jeep and mess with alignment. I read your build thread about the alignment - excellent job, BTW.

·
Commercial Member
2,047 Posts
Storm the Jeep -> sorry for the sidebar, we're done. Thanks for showing some Silver love.

ETOIMOS:

This is fantastic - thanks for the pictures. I taped my doors closer to hinges, but it looks like you did a square around the door hinges and peeled it off around. Nice!

Also, I was afraid to the hinges off the Jeep and mess with alignment. I read your build thread about the alignment - excellent job, BTW.
LOL, I just realized this thread is a year old with only the initial post by the OP and she has not been back to the site since.

I still have a little bit of alignment issues from pulling the hinges. I don't know how the get them on correctly at the factory without any type of keying. Got to be those damn robots! Any other color besides silver should be easier to realign as they don't paint under the hinges and the bare metal would show up nicely against the paint. Not so much for us silver guys :(

My biggest issue is that I can't tell if the doors are aligned our not until I'm going 60mph down the road with a strong cross wind. I'll get a little bit of whistling then. Going slow or no crosswind and they seem just fine. Makes it really hard to adjust and check. lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh, and the key to a good Plasti dip is spraying a large enough area around the part you want dipped and then peeling it off. It really does "magically" cut it's self off right along the hinge lines.
Thanks for the tip.. I taped along the hinge line and it sorta worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts