Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on my last trip offroad my tail pipe once again got caught on something and one thing came to another and my muffler was ripped off. I dont mind the sound, I actually like the loudness. My question is will it hurt anything for me to not run a muffler? I have the cat still on. I dont really feel any power loss, I was just concerned about back pressure.

Also another question is, do any of you have a problem with your tailpipe getting caught while navigating unusual terrain? I have had two come off the frame bracket deal and get bent to hell. Is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening again?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Are you adding chrome tips or something? How far does your tailpipe stick out? I've never caught my tail pipe on anything yet and it's been through some hairy stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no chrome tips the first one was almost like the stock one, the turn down but it stuck down a little further than the stock so it was just a matter of time before it got caught. This one stuck out past the bumper about 2-3 inches. I tried to get it fitted as close to the bumper as I could so i could minimize the chance of it coming off. If anyone has pictures that would help me out.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I have done the same thing, folding up my exhaust. When I had it re-done, I had them run the exhaust above the fuel tank skid plate.

Here is a pic.

This is a pic, from the Cat Back........lol.......:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright so your not running it out past the bumper. and above the fuel tank skid plate. Do you get bad fumes coming in when you have the rear window rolled up or the top off?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
On my catback i cut it right after the hanger on an angle.. Take alook at bluvikngs pic in post 4.. i cut it on the left side of the hanger.. \ this angle so its a bit longer on top

edit: does any one know where to buy a 2.5" tail pipe for a TJ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
running it with a strait pipe may be a issue if you have emissions in your state otherwise you should be ok other than the occasional state trooper

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
i dont have any fumes at all and i like it because its a bit louder with my flowmaster delta 50. I didn't like how the end shrunk so much when it was rounded off so i cut the whole thing off. It sounds like the air is ripping through just to get out compared to before where air was trapped inside the bottle neck.

I dont see a problem running without a muffler unless its way too loud. You shouldnt have a problem if its not loud.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
hmm i would hate to be on a trail behind you or in front of you sounding like that lol. I do love the sound of open header though minus the being really loud part :)

I'm wondering how does a tj sound with a straight pipe instead of the muffler and folowed by the regular tailpipe? Although its straight pipe.. the lenght of the pipe muffles the sound a lot.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
My sister has a CherryBomb glasspack muffler, actually sounds really nice. I thought it was going to obnoxious, but it sounds beefy.

4.0L btw

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
i heard cherry bombs sound quite nice :) Many people from the previus forum that i was at (miata forum = old car) had those installed.. simply said 4 bangers sounded like a mustang :) with a supercharger since the 1.8 miata engine has a sweet wine to it at 4 to 7k rpm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I got a cherrybomb glasspack, it was too long and the muffler shop only had cherrybomb turbos in the size and offset I needed. So I went ahead and just got that and a custom cut non-ripoff slant tip. haha, Ill get pictures, this one shouldnt get caught on anything.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Fumes from the cat

I bet you get fumes from the back of that cat.....

I thought the picture of the cat-back thing was the bomb!:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts