Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed recently that when I back out of the garage and cut my wheels to go right back wards just a medium cut not lock to lock I hear this loud clunk as if something is loose down on the left side. Then when I pull forward and if I hit he brakes I hear the same sound. Then the rest of the time it is quiet when I brake or back up, only if I hit he brakes hard do I hear the sound. I have crawled under the jeep and grabbed stuff to if there is something loose ( clearly there is) but I can't find it any ideas.

This is an 08 rubicon with an ome lift. 4inch no the driveshafts seem fine in fact I just got a new front one, so I am stumped.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Is there something in the brakes like a pebble maybe?

·
Registered
296 Posts
it would have to be the king kong of pebbles the noise just sounds like its something big
Lol..when you were turning and heard it the first time, were you hitting the brakes while you were turning or did the sound come just from turning the wheel? Basically what I'm trying to figure out is if the clunking is caused from a front and back motion or a side to side motion.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So I noticed recently that when I back out of the garage and cut my wheels to go right back wards just a medium cut not lock to lock I hear this loud clunk as if something is loose down on the left side. Then when I pull forward and if I hit he brakes I hear the same sound. Then the rest of the time it is quiet when I brake or back up, only if I hit he brakes hard do I hear the sound. I have crawled under the jeep and grabbed stuff to if there is something loose ( clearly there is) but I can't find it any ideas. This is an 08 rubicon with an ome lift. 4inch no the driveshafts seem fine in fact I just got a new front one, so I am stumped.
Have you had any work done to the brakes lately? Or are they old? Your pads might not be seated on your calipers shoulders. It just needs a little bit of slop to "clunk" and then the noise will go away until you apply the breaks while moving in the opposite direction or under hard braking.
Just have someone drive the jeep backwards and forwards 2-3ft and apply the brakes while you walk along each wheel to isolate the noise. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

Brakes were done about 2 months ago.. I wonder if after the last offered trip something loosened up that sounds like it could be right it is not in the steering. only when braking

·
Registered
244 Posts
Brakes were done about 2 months ago.. I wonder if after the last offered trip something loosened up that sounds like it could be right it is not in the steering. only when braking
Wanderer, let me know what the issue was once you figure it out. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts