Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 94 wrangler about a week ago. Checked my oil the other day before a long trip and saw an odd orange-brown, almost rust color at the base of the dipstick (the oil was otherwise clean as the PO said he just had the oil changed recently). Had a friend come look at it and he was worried that either water or coolant had gotten in the oil. We ran a Seafoam treatment through the oil, gas and vacuum line, ran the vehicle a bit and then changed the oil. After the 2 1/2 hour trip, I checked the oil again. Saw very little discoloration on the first check, a little more on the second and third check. I checked it again tonight and took the pictures below. The color now looks more dark brown/black for some reason. Also, the color only shows up on one side of the dipstick. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be "sludge" in the oil pan?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Water in the oil will produce a yellowish milky residue at the top of the dipstick or in the top of the valve cover. Check in the CCV at the front of the valve cover look in the hose and the air filter box. If no serious residue run it and monitor you could moving some old sludge or it iis normal contamination of the oil from combustion gases passing the rings. My best guess.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I don't think there is an issue at all. So run it and monitor the situation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
jokerchief462 said:
Water in the oil will produce a yellowish milky residue at the top of the dipstick or in the top of the valve cover. Check in the CCV at the front of the valve cover look in the hose and the air filter box. If no serious residue run it and monitor you could moving some old sludge or it iis normal contamination of the oil from combustion gases passing the rings. My best guess.
I agree.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You dipstick picture looks fine to me, you could just have some condensation issues. It could also be some residual older oil that hasnt completely mixed yet.

I had a rig that the oil cap would always have the milk chocolate brown residue on it no matter how fresh the oil or what kind. But I had no other issues with it, and the dipstick always showed the oil normally.

I would also just run it and keep tabs on it just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts