Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windshield cracked. The crack goes about 3/4 inch straight up from bottom edge, right in front of steering wheel, then goes horizontal a couple inches. Jeep had been sitting in cold about 10 hours, then I drove short distance, left running, and that's when it cracked. 5 degrees, which isn't that cold here. I've lived in cold for years so I know not to use water on windshield, etc. Anyone else experience something like that? Is Jeep glass that cheap?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I dont live in the cold (quite the opposite as a matter of fact) but I just read an old thread here about needing to "get used to" cracked windshields..
Your insurance will probably get you a new one for free. Just be sure it's a real OEM one.

·
Super Moderator
22,508 Posts
very common. they get a little nick in the bottom edge and it causes a stress crack. I have replaced two windshields in the last two years due to this.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There also have been issues with a number of JK's that windshields have been installed at the factory with tolerances that are too tight and when they flex the glass cracks. If there's no indication that anything hit it and there isn't 100% insurance coverage on the glass it might be able to be repaired under warranty. Some have been succesful with warranty coverage with this issue from the dealer, but not all.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did you check the windshield for any impact chips? Chances are it was hit with something and didn't crack until either heat was applied to the windshield or a vibration caused the crack to spread.. I have personally witnessed a small chip turn into a large crack in a 10min drive on a very cold morning... i have also seen them spread when hitting a pot hole. Same issue you had, the chip was below the viewable line of the windshield and when i hit a nasty pothole it shot strait up, and then proceed to crack at almost a 90 degree angle.. Nothing weird or unusual about it... thats how glass works. Only odd if there is no chip that started the crack....

Glass doesn't crack from heat or cold... it cracks when you change its temperature too quickly. I wouldn't expect a windshield to crack easily this way unless there was a chip in it already because its laminated. Using your fingernail, scratch the crack by where it looks like it started, if you can feel anything you will know it chipped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts