Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Recon and am hearing some strange sounds coming from the area of the center dash in the area just above the AC controls (auto climate).
It is a strange sort of clicking sound at regular intervals, that usually starts when the Jeep is started for the first time of the day. It can continue for 30-40 seconds, or can go on for a couple of minutes. It will begin both if the engine is started or when the key is turned to the on position. It generally stops before I drive off, but on occasion it has continued even during driving for a couple of minutes.
As I said, it's a strange sort of clicking sound. I recorded it and tried to upload it, but it's a file that this forum's upload doesn't recognize.
Everything functions as it should and no problems have been found other than the strange sound. I had the dealer listen to the recorded sounds on my phone, but they were clueless as to what it was.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of weird sound on their JK? I'm thinking that it may be some sort of programming check on maybe the AC system, but really can't be sure if it even has anything to do with the AC system at all, but the sound does seem to come from the area below the 2 round air vents and the AC controls below.
I know this isn't much to go on, but if anyone has experienced this and knows what it is, please chime in.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
turn the key 2 clicks to the on position without starting up the jeep. have the indicator blower face towards the face or face/feet position. turn on the air on its 1st position, then turn the recirculation to on. if that is the sound your hearing, it should be the vent behind the glovebox which replicates the sound via echo towards the center console air vents, however you said "clicking" ... i'm not sure what that clicking noise is.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try and all I got was the normal sound of the fan coming on and normal airflow through the vents. No clicking.
Normally I've been leaving the automatic climate set on automatic, letting the system select which fan speed to use and which vent position to set.
The clicking usually starts only when I've started the Jeep for the first time of the day and can run anywhere from 30-40 seconds to 2-3 minutes. The click is at about 1 second intervals and then may stop for a moment when a short buzzing sound is heard for about 2 seconds, then the click starts again. This cycle can repeat itself several times for 2-3 minutes sometimes.
During this whole thing, the AC system seems to be working perfectly.
It's hard to describe, that's why I was hoping to upload the sound so that it could be heard. It is a distinctive sound though, so if anyone had heard it on their Jeep, I think they would know.

·
Super Moderator
8,242 Posts
If it's the noise that sounds sort of like the sound a CD player makes sucking in a CD, it is normal, nothing to worry about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts