Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

The rig is 2014 JK Sport. 2.5" lift, 35"s. Nothing has been re-calibrated yet for larger tires.

I'm seeing really strange odometer problem, it changes in strange increments. Here is an example:

1. Start driving, odometer is at 75000.
2. Drive for about 5 miles, odometer only changes by 1 mile, so now it shows 75001.
3. Stop, shut off the engine.
4. Start driving, still at 75001
5. Drive for 3 miles, changes to 75002
6. Stop, shut off the engine, odometer suddenly changes to 75008.

It almost looks like it is calculating the mileage correctly, but display is not keeping up. Otherwise everything else seems to work on the dash. The only other issue is a low tire pressure light as I'm running 28 psi on larger tires.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I just noticed this today and I'm not sure for how long this has been going on. I'm going to reset trip odometers and pay closer attention to it to get more accurate info.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update 1
The issue is still present, but rather randomly and not reproducible every time. Went about 30 miles with odometer keeping up, then it quit counting. Pressing the button to switch to trip odometer immediately updated the reading to the correct one.

When I tried resetting trip odometer by holding down the button, the display was showing 00, not 00.0 trip A or trip B as usual, but just two zeros and was not counting. Holding down the button again switched to 00.0 trip A and the count started. Eco On/Off doesn't change when holding button down in that mode.

My best guess at this point is that I have either a faulty button or an instrument panel display unit. I got caught in a nasty rain storm earlier this summer with no doors and had some weird electrical issues the day after, like none of the switches were working. Everything came back to normal after a few hours in the sun, but some damage may have been done to the instrument panel.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Update 1
The issue is still present, but rather randomly and not reproducible every time. Went about 30 miles with odometer keeping up, then it quit counting. Pressing the button to switch to trip odometer immediately updated the reading to the correct one.

When I tried resetting trip odometer by holding down the button, the display was showing 00, not 00.0 trip A or trip B as usual, but just two zeros and was not counting. Holding down the button again switched to 00.0 trip A and the count started. Eco On/Off doesn't change when holding button down in that mode.

My best guess at this point is that I have either a faulty button or an instrument panel display unit. I got caught in a nasty rain storm earlier this summer with no doors and had some weird electrical issues the day after, like none of the switches were working. Everything came back to normal after a few hours in the sun, but some damage may have been done to the instrument panel.
Do you still have your original battery? It may be dying. I saw strange issues with mine. A couple months later my starter started turning over slower than normal. Once I replaced my battery all the issues have disappeared. Just a thought .

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The new electronics on vehicles don't play well with bad voltages of any kind. Unusual things can be a failing battery. If your battery is a few years old it's a good place to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you still have your original battery? It may be dying. I saw strange issues with mine. A couple months later my starter started turning over slower than normal. Once I replaced my battery all the issues have disappeared. Just a thought .
Thanks for the tip. Faulty battery theory makes sense. A few years back, I had some crazy issues going on with instrument panel on my chevy truck, which turned out to be a battery as well.
I will run some tests on my battery and see if voltage and internal resistance are off.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have 2 Tag Heuer watches. When the batteries get low they stop then jump 2-3 seconds all the way up to 4 seconds before the battery is dead and they stop. Kind of what your odo is doing. A Wrangler is like a Tag Heuer watch,,,LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 2 Tag Heuer watches. When the batteries get low they stop then jump 2-3 seconds all the way up to 4 seconds before the battery is dead and they stop. Kind of what your odo is doing. A Wrangler is like a Tag Heuer watch,,,LOL.
So the problem turned out to be TPMS light. I finally got a ProCal, reset tire pressure to where I wanted it to be, and the odometer issue went away with low tire pressure light.

I imagine that there is some kind of priority system on the display where it locks out other functionality when a warning light is on. I wasn't able to find any documentation on this "feature", but that's my best guess.

Thank you all for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts