Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started randomly (washed the Jeep a few days earlier), and only happens when the Jeep is started for the first time after a few hours of rest.

I initially thought it was the front wheels touching the plastic skid plate, but it wasn't.

It seems to happen as soon as I get moving, as soon as I start to turn (left or right), and noise increases with speed (so it's not a suspension issue I believe).

So far I can only think of:

-brakes are sticking?
-differentials
-transfer case
-axles or some kind of joint?

The noise only lasts a few seconds, and only when car is 'cold'.

Seems to come from the middle/rear of the car. Hard to diagnose so far.

Any suggestions to what I can look for to narrow it down?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Any video or recording of the sound? That might help us make a guess.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maybe parking brake isn't fully releasing on its own? Might have to jack it up and try spinning things to see if you can find it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe parking brake isn't fully releasing on its own? Might have to jack it up and try spinning things to see if you can find it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Recent things that have happened on my Jeep:

-new pads and rotors on front
-new brake pads on the rear
-tires rotated (5th wheel also)
-lot of rain for the last month

·
Registered
463 Posts
Recent things that have happened on my Jeep:

-new pads and rotors on front
-new brake pads on the rear
-tires rotated (5th wheel also)
-lot of rain for the last month
Did the sound start after any specific one of these? Or did you do all these at the same time? I doubt the tire rotation had anything to do with it. Brake swap might have. Did you clean up and grease up the contact points on your calipers when you put in the new pads? Could be they are dirty or rusty and possibly getting stuck? Just guessing at this point, i'm caught up in the mystery. I really think you're gonna have to get it in the air and spin stuff to try and locate it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just removed rear tires, moved everything, tried to tighten every bolt. Everything looks good, and in it's place.

Brake rotors look good, nothing looks stuck. The brake pads were greased up so it shouldn't be the problem. The only thing I noticed is that the rear diff cover is flaking a bit.

Also I noticed that there is a tiny amount of play on both sides of the rear when pushing on the rotors (but I think it's normal since it's both sides).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts