Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

I've started experiencing a strange issue with my auto trans '12 Wrangler, which is about to hit 80k miles... This behavior doesn't produce any indicator lights or error codes.

I can be cruising along in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear and it seems like the throttle becomes really sluggish and unresponsive. If I stay in this sluggish mode, it will sometimes momentarily lose power and I hear a loud click from somewhere underneath the jeep. This power loss is momentary and, in some cases, I've had it loose power and click 3 to 4 times in a row, in an evenly spaced pattern. It seems that the only way to get out of this sluggish state is to let off the accelerator and press down again to get back to a normal throttle response.

When this began to happen, I feared it was the transmission slipping, so I took it to a trusted mechanic. They popped open the rear diff and said everything looked nice and clean, nothing to indicate transmission issues. The mechanic drove it four times over 3 weeks and never experienced the problem. Furthermore, after I picked it up, I went about a week and a half before the sluggish throttle and momentary power losses began to happen again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to you all for any advice you can provide.

Damnit... sorry for posting this in the JL forum... Moderators, please move to the JK forum if you would.

·
Super Moderator
7,625 Posts
Was it checked for codes with a scanner that can pull transmission codes? There can sometimes be codes with no CEL.

A friend of mine had a similar issue, w/o the noise, and no codes of any kind. Here's what worked for him. If you are certain there are no codes disconnect the negative battery terminal and step on the brake while the cable is disconnected. Wait a few minutes and reconnect the cable and take it for a ride. It is worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I had a similar thing going on in my '12 JK auto, but no clicking, and no codes.
After a lot of reading and researching, I decided to change the $22.00 crankshaft position sensor before I caved to the dealer. It is in a really bad spot up under the pass side exhaust manifold. The wiring to the sensor is all wrapped in heat resistant tubing. terrible spot for an electronic sensor. That was over a year ago with no issues at all.
For 22 bucks, it was worth a try, and it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts