Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help I bought the Jeep about 3 weeks ago and it was very clean and dry underneath. But 2 weeks ago I noticed there was an oil spot under it I crawled under and there was a little oil dripping off the transmission and onto the skid plate but the oil is only dripping down the passenger side not the driver side I was thinking it might be the shift linkage any ideas? I will post a picture as soon as possible

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oil or transmission fluid? Sounds like it might be the rear main seal. I had to a like on my TJ (4.0) and replaced it on my XJ. Heard it was a common problem with the 4.0..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like it's coming from the top of the trans even the shift linkage (I think that's what's it's called) the black top where the shifter comes out of the trans

·
Registered
159 Posts
It could be the plate where the shifter goes in. Just 4 bolts but they arent the easiest to get to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying to get to it now but I can't get two of the bolts off near the 4wd shifter if it were to be the rear main seal any idea how much that would cost

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I brought it to a shop they said it was defiantly overfilled but it's still leaking a little. Anyone know anything about The 4x4 Shop in north jersey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts