Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unusual vibration that just showed up. I can feel it primarily in the clutch, brake, and gas pedal (strongest in the clutch). It shows up over 45 MPH. It doesn't adjust based on RPM and shows up even when the clutch is in. I can't really feel it in the steering or anywhere else. It very briefly gets much worse if I hit a bump. I can very briefly feel it in the entire vehicle.

I always blame things on the u-joints and crawled underneath to find which one had some play. All of them were fine. Didn't think it could be the tires since I can't really feel it in the steering or the rest of the vehicle. But I did notice I have some minor feathering on one of my front tires, so I probably ought to get them balanced and aligned anyways.

Scratching my head over what to checkout next. All of the usual suspects for me are checking out fine.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,892 Posts
U-joints centered in their yokes? I found one that had slipped out of position while installing the straps and its resulting vibrations drove me crazy find the source.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U-joints centered in their yokes?
Can that happen without any major changes to the drivetrain? I haven't done any major updates recently. I will check that out though.

Engine mounts/transfer case mount ok?
I don't think it could be the engine since it is speed and not RPM dependent. What do you think I should look at on the TC mount?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can that happen without any major changes to the drivetrain? I haven't done any major updates recently. I will check that out though.

I don't think it could be the engine since it is speed and not RPM dependent. What do you think I should look at on the TC mount?
Check to make sure its not cracked through - they tend to fail so I thought I’d mention it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are you lifted at all?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No lift, haven't needed it living here.

I checked the engine mounts, and the transmission mount. No cracking or other issues.
U-Joints have no play and they are all centered.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hmm how are all the rubber bits? Control arms and bushes....interesting one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm how are all the rubber bits? Control arms and bushes....interesting one
Honestly, not really sure how to diagnose a control arm to be honest. What should I look for? I assumed it would be the control arm since i can't feel anything in the wheel.

I am a bit suspicious of the suspension though. Since, as I noted earlier, I am getting feathering on my front right tire. That makes me guess an issue with suspension, but the vibration seems to be speed dependent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts