Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen wear like this on a Duratrac? Bought tire from DTD 3 years ago. Both rear tires look like this, front tires look normal.

Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Wow. That is not wear. Did you back over a puddle of gasoline or acetone or something? Or possibly park in one?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Agree with Bobnh, that isn't wear, that is deterioration. Is it like that all the way around? That is either a defect or some other chemical breakdown of the rubber.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Wow, yeah that's not normal. Do you do a lot of gravel or rougher dirt road driving? I've seen wear like that on vehicles that do long drives down gravel roads and such.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
212 Posts
Looking super weird... are the tires really old, like, manufactured pre 2010, so the rubber has began to harden and crumble. And even 10 years is not that much for a tire...

Possibilities (some mentioned before):
  • chemical exposure. Unlikely, would take some nasty stuff or a lot of time to spoil the compound.
  • Extreme heat. Also not that likely for a three year old tire. If tires are "vintage" and were stored outside in the sun, maybe then. But the damage should be onesided...
  • Bad batch. Some mishap in manufacturing with material and/or process. This is my favourite theory.
  • Insane constant hardcore offroading. Kinda doubt anyone would have time to wheel tires into that condition in three years... 'cause you gotta eat, sleep and work.
I noticed the degradation is not uniform, the other side of the tread is far worse than the other. Have no idea yet why.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen a tire like that. Definitely take them back where you got them and see if they will help you with dealing with the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I noticed the high school parking permit.

Is there a teenager trying to do burnouts or donuts?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
It looks like most of the chunking is on one side of the tread blocks. I’m just thinking about kids being kids.

You could try a 4 tire rotation and see if the “new” rear tires start to fall apart.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Retired Moderator
101,406 Posts
Even our hot roads, with asphalt temps of 180 + degrees in Phoenix, don’t cause tires to look like that.
It looks like some Chemical reaction.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It looks like most of the chunking is on one side of the tread blocks. I’m just thinking about kids being kids.

You could try a 4 tire rotation and see if the “new” rear tires start to fall apart.
A four tire rotation? I would not even consider moving those decrepeit things to the front of anything. They need to be gone.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I only suggested putting the fronts on the rear is to see if they “wear” the same.

I’m not convinced the tires were exposed to a chemical. If it was chemical exposure, only one section of the tire would be affected, not all of the tread If the Jeep was parked. If driving, how did they drive through something and not get anything on the fronts. I would also suspect there would have been some sort of spray or splash up in the fenders.

I still think it was kids trying to do the epic burnout or playing tug of war in 2wd.
As I mentioned in a previous post, the lugs are primarily chunked on one side only.

Reactions: White Elemant

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
This is caused by spinning the tires on gravel and other off asphalt surfaces. Duratracs being of a fairly soft compound are very susceptible to this. As stated above "kids will be kids" but even age has little to do with it.;) Nothing unusual here. Many years ago when we had a lot of gravel roads such a thing was common place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
wondering..since this is the spare... if it was used and then put as the spare, or has this one not ever been used? was something poured on it: doubtful since if something were to be poured on it, it would do the same thing to the lower portions of the tread/tire....but those seem to be untouched
since the manufacturing "nubbies" are still mostly all over the sidewall, this was not likely from hard offroad.
agree with above posters: this was more than likely trying to do burnouts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts