Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 04, and there are 2 "straps" that look like wide seat belts that are riveted to the top frame (1 on each side). With the top up, they run basically along the top of each rear side window - that's the best way I can think to describe what/where they are...
Anyway, they are shredded on mine to the point of not really existing any more. What are they for? The only thing I could see them doing is keeping the bar behind the front seats getting too far away from the bar at the top back, and I don't see how that could happen anyway..

Can I get just these straps? I don't even know what to search for (what are they called?)

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yes they are necessary to keep the rear from sagging. Don't need rivets. Sheet metal screws and washers will hold

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL (2 door)
201 Posts
Yes-

Straps are part of the soft top sides / rear support frame

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am confused. Does anyone have pics of how they should be? I have two small straps hanging down that are only about 4" wide and 4" long and shredded.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My straps fell off last year and I've been meaning to replace them but honestly I had forgotten they were gone until I read this thread. Haven't noticed any issues with them gone

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Lol mine snapped off who knows when... Solution was mini bungee cords to hold them to the roll bar so they didn't flat in the wind with doors off/windows out. Nice to see what they're actually for. Maybe I'll fix it now. The ratchet strap holding down the driver side front corner will stay.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I replaced one of mine with 2" webbing, self tapping screws and finishing washers. I still had one to use as a template. Are you near a dealer where you could poke your head in and take a look to see how they mount up? Not a hard fix at all, maybe drilling out the factory rivets is the hardest.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why are people replacing with 2" ? My factory ones are 3" and need to be replaced..
I was thinking the same thing. Mine are getting tattered around the rivets and I need new ones. I can find 2" webbing all day, but I haven't found anything wide enough either.

·
Registered
137 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts