Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently purchased my first Jeep Wrangler, a 2017 bright blue unlimited sport. To be honest, I will never (ever) be taking it off road (I know, it's just not right lol), and it will only be driven on local paved roads and highways. I'm wanting to order 20" wheels with either 35" tires, or preferably 37". Obviously, I will need to lift it first and I lost on what will be the most cost-effective way to go without destroying the way it drives. I'm hoping there will be plenty of cheap alternatives you guys recommend as I won't be needing something "Beefy" for off-road use. I believe I will need a 3.5 or 4.0" lift accommodate 35 and/or 37" tires on 20" wheels, but really don't want the expense of having to long arm with kit costing thousands of dollars as the Rep (over the phone) at teraflex reccomended. Please advise
Thank so much everyone!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Cheap and "37" unfortunately don't belong in the same sentence. Wheels and tires alone will run you upwards of $700 to $800 per corner. Don't forget the spare as it will look stupid without, so plan on $3500 to $4000 for wheels and tires alone.

If you want it to drive the same you will need a bunch of parts. You can't just do a spacer lift. Probably looking at $1000 to $1500 minimum for the lift. Don't necessarily need a long arm but you need to at least have adjustable LCA's in the front or drop brackets (google it if you don't know what that means)

Most guys here have an offroad mindset, and will recommend what they consider the best stuff, not the cheapest. You just spent a crapload of money on a jeep. Don't cheap out on what is probably the most important upgrade you can make to your vehicle. That said. 3.5 to 4" is not really necessary on a jeep. I have heard(no personal experience) that the AEV lifts are some of the most streetable. A lot of jeep dealers carry them as well.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
20's are heavy compared to smaller counterparts. You'll have to think about a regear or your jeep will feel like its driving on an incline on leveled streets.

37's will definitely need reinforcement of the axle. A C-gusset should be considered.

Also at 3.5 your going to need to consider a hi steer kit.

You can start by reading this thread. It will ultimately come down to end goal/ price/ and use. The more you know, the more you can best determine and narrow down the lift options

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't really think that there is any way that 4" of lift and 37" tires can be made to ride like stock. People going to 37" tires and doing the required upgrades (throw away your OEM drag link, track bar and tie rod right now) expect a major change in ride and handling and work towards an acceptable ride and handling.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
If you stick with 35s you can easily get away with a 2.5" lift which gives you lots of options at various price points from Teraflex's "budget lift" up to the AEV and Mopar kits.

Also lots of good looking options in 17inch rims that match well with 35s.

37s and a big kit does get expensive in a hurry because of the added stress you are going to put on all the drive components..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your input. I just love the look of 20" wheels and 37" tires on the JK. I've looked at the AEV kit and it's the same price for 3.5" or 4.5". $1,899.00 they claim that 3.5 is for 35s and the 4.5 is for 37s. When I spoke to a Terflex rep I was told that a long arm kit was necessary for 37" tires and I would be looking at almost $6,000! In parts for the lift alone! But again, my Jeep will not be going off road.
Anyways, I could go about $6,000 (willing to do much if the lift labor myself. Is AEV my best bet?
Does anyone have pics of their keeps with 20s on 35s and 20s on 37s?
I would at least like to order stuff sometime next week lol.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
89 Posts
Isn't it possible to just go with flat fenders and no lift? It might suit this application well. Than you can beef up the axle and steering, which you'd probably have to do anyway to run the bigger tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I personally don't care for 20s on a Jeep. Not as functional as other options, heavy and disproportional. My opinion is go 35s since this isn't going offroad and save the money, weight and stress on your rig. At the end of the day it is your Jeep so do what makes you happy, but I would suggest taking some time to look at different wheel/tire combos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 35" tires on 20's - I got the Zone Off Road 3" kit with nitro shocks and so far it rides better than it did stock. Some don't like 20's, but I love how it looks and I'm not going to do any crazy wheeling with it.

The zone kit wasn't expensive and its nice and stable at 70-80 on the interstate.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts