Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Sport and I’m looking for a kit to strengthen by stock roll cage. My wife rolled her Lexus last week and is now afraid to ride in anything without a roof. I don’t do any trail riding just around town and a lot of beach driving. I just want to make her more comfortable that she is protected. I also don’t do any welding so I’m looking for a bolt on kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been wondering the same, and was actually looking at these:
SRC Cage Kits - Smittybilt

I think Poison Spyder has some as well, but those are pretty pricey as well, but they are removable as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw the Smittybilt as well but I have not heard a lot of good things about Smittybilt products in general so I was hoping to find something else. The only thing I could find from Poison Spyder required welding.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Do not buy the smittybilt cage. Just like every other product from Smitty, it's a cheap Chinese made copy of a good american product.

Rock Hard 4x4 has been making that same exact cage in the United States for many years with high quality steel. Smittybilt parts are known to crack and that's the last thing I would want in a roll cage.

The rock hard 4x4 sport cage and rear support kit is 100% bolt on and very strong. That would be number one on my list of bolt on cages.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just by having the stock roll cage, the Wrangler is inherently stronger upside down than a lexus - roof or no roof. The roof isn't what does the bracing.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just by having the stock roll cage, the Wrangler is inherently stronger upside down than a lexus - roof or no roof. The roof isn't what does the bracing.
Haha having the hard top on is arguably more dangerous because of the broken glass.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have investigated many many crashes and for the most part all modern cars are plenty safe as is, that being said I bought a Rock Hard bolt in sport cage and I highly recommend it.

As far as the Smittybilt, even the guys at my local 4wheelparts said to steer way clear of it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife had a Lexus RX350 SUV and it held up so well we went out and got another. I feel the Jeep is fine the way it is but she is not so comfortable with it. It's worth the money and effort to make my wife comfortable in the Jeep.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have investigated many many crashes and for the most part all modern cars are plenty safe as is, that being said I bought a Rock Hard bolt in sport cage and I highly recommend it.

As far as the Smittybilt, even the guys at my local 4wheelparts said to steer way clear of it.
How did you deal with the padding, in the photos it looks like they need to be cut. Did you get the compete kit including the angle bars and the rear cross bar?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
ripped out all the padding.... gonna put in more later. and I only have the front now, I might put the angle bars in later.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Hope the wife is ok. Makes me feel better because mine drives a Lexus RX330.

The Rockhard kit does not replace the thin tubes just over the doors, but I believe they make some stronger bars to replace those at an additional cost, IIRC.

Too bad Or-Fab quit making their bolt on cage. It replaces that bar. I have the Or-Fab up front, and a bunch of Rock hard stuff in the rear.

I just recently learned of Or-Fab discontinuing their TJ cages from another forum. I tried to order the streamer bars right away, but was too late.

I'm making my own with some Rockhard collars I ordered.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking of just getting the front portion and the back later.

TJDave, My wife is fine thank you, she's sore and has some stitches in her arm. I can tell you the RX held up. It ended up totaled but all roll overs end up totaled.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've been looking at the Rockhard bolt in myself. I believe the replacement bolt in bars they have only work on 03 and newer, something about the mount at the windshield changing. I haven't tried it yet but have read you can put some 1.5" DOM tubing inside the front bars to make them stronger. This will probably be the route I take since we have a 97 and a 00.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
But do they make the higher strength front bars to replace the existing factory units. Last time I checked, and it's been about 6 months, they only made for 03 and newer. The front bolt in kit fits all TJs from 97 to 06 as far as I know.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Haha having the hard top on is arguably more dangerous because of the broken glass.
I get to hear the flip side of that argument literally any time I have the top off and my daughter in the Jeep. The canvas and 30 mil plastic windows are inherently safer to have if you ask any nosey mother.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts