Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find a answer to these questions via google..

Does the standard 4.0 have enough power to pull 40's.. And what gearing is reccomended?
Top speed? Manual or auto?

Suggested LJ (4") stretch Kit?

Looking to build a "daddylonglegs" tribute upon sale of my rig.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumpp

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wondering if I would be better off stretching a JK as they have a little more power it looks like.. But not as much torque.. A lot of guys are motor swapping TJ's when they get to 40's.. A stretched 2dr JK might do really well offroad. But a price tag 10k higher comes with the JK.. Even starting as a salvage build

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It has enough power. However if you plan on DDing it then kiss your gas money goodbye.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes the 4.0 is fine with 40s depending on axles and gearing. I see no mention of what axles your running or planning to use.

My 97TJ had a 4.0, stock tranny and T-case with Teralow. I was running 42 Iroks and had a shaved D60 up front and shaved 14B in the rear with Detroit lockers in both. It was geared at 5.13 and worked great.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For axles. Debating JK Rubicon Dana 44's with a truss, sleeves, and gussets. RCV's up front and shafts in the rear..
OR

1 ton's

Leaning to 38" nitto tires now to be honest. That may help a bit.

It's not gonna be a daily driver, but I will drive it around town on the street and maybe to badlands (1 hour. Away)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
May swap the motor if I have to. I'm looking to spend 50k tops on this stretched LJ project..

PS armor all around and fenders
PS cage
Axles
Motor
Drivetrain
Line-x
Etc...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also I want to run ORI in the rear and Fox coilovers in the front

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Mines not done yet but its a 97 tj , frame and body stretched 15" to fit LJ top, front axles stretched about 5" and rear about 5" with 40" tires, 4.0 3spd auto tranny, hp d60 up front and shaved 14b rear

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts