Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a few torx body bolts that have stripped when I have tried taking them off. Tried manually and with an impack wrench.

I drilled two of them out, still need to get the top two off to I can put a nutsert in and a new bolt.

Any recomendations on getting these out with out stripping them all?

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Weld a big nut to them and then use an impact gun to turn the nut off. That's how I got them off of my old rusty TJ. Keep in mind that doing it that way will destroy the bolts, so plan on replacing them.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
Those particular bolts are held in by a type of Loctite which is meant to be permanent, which is only designed to let loose of the bolt after the Loctite has been heated enough to melt.

You can insert the torx bit into the bolt and heat the torx bit with a torch which will heat the bolt enough to loosen the Loctite so the bolt can be unscrewed.

But if they're really boogered up, you may need to weld a nut or bolt to them as suggested above by Clutch. That will both loosen the Loctite (make sure to unscrew the bolt while it is still hot!) and give you something to put a wrench on.

Due to the permanent form of Loctite used, using an impact wrench on those particular bolts is a bad idea.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently bought some black stainless steel door hinges to replace mine, and while I haven't removed those particular bolts yet, I did loosen the door side hinge bolts using a torx bit and a 3 foot breaker bar. I'm not sure if those bolts also have the Loctite that Jerry is referencing, but I pushed my palm into the back of the torx bit to hold it in place and pulled down on the breaker bar and each of them broke loose with a loud squeal and a pop. It may have been the paint seal making that noise as it broke, but they didn't seem to be overly difficult to get loose using that method.

EDIT: Side note, the windshield/door hinge that you have pictured there has a backing plate on it, according to the set of instructions that shipped with my new hinges. It clearly states to NOT remove all of the bolts, as they hold the backing plate in place, and it can fall down inside the body if all are removed. I'd google that real quick before you go taking all of those bolts out.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
X2, don't remove all of those bolts at once. There is indeed a bracket behind the frame that will fall down out of place if you do so.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As said in an earlier post.. heat heat heat, a small cooking torch is all that you need, about 20 seconds on the head if the bolt then firmly seat the torx bit that's a attached to a breaker bar will get those out.. but with out doubt the HEAT IS A MUST

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a similar issue when mounting mirror brackets so I could drive with my doors off.

One bolt came out with a screw extractor. The other came out by drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the center, then incrementally upping the bit size until the stripped bolt collapsed on itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts